• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Shot Size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJH

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm fixing to try and purchase some more lead shot for my smoothbore doubles. Recently I have been using nickel plated #5.5 but the chilled shot is much cheaper. I have considered ordering #6 shot this time around to up my shot count.

Anyway, what is your favorite shot size for squirrel? Also, how do you guys like chilled shot vs plated? Also, where do you guys purchase your lead shot? The past few times I have used Ballistic Products. Perhaps there are other vendors? All responses are appreciated.
Jeff

I’ve always loaded #6 lead for small game. Where I brushbust you’re as likely to scare up a cottontail as a ruffed grouse as a grey squirrel as a snowshoe and in November-December they’re all in season at the same time. It seems the best all ‘rounder for me. I have a lead ammo manufacturer 30 minute drive from my house so I’ve never ordered lead shot online. Bismuth is another story🙄. With copper plated shot I’ve found the copper surface coating to be mostly ornamental, no real affect on pattern or performance. Can’t speak for nickel.
Happy shooting.

I use #5 lead shot in my 28 gauge and 15 gauge. It patterns well in both guns and does the job for squirrels & rabbits. Haven't had very many opportunities to shoot upland winged game as grouse and wood cock seem to no longer be around like they used to be in the 70's & early 80's.

Thanks for all the replies. In the past I have normally used #6 shot for most of my squirrel and rabbit hunting. I went with #5.5 last time and it worked fine but I think I'm gonna go back to #6 shot just to add a few more pellets to my shot charge. I suppose nickel plated shot may get deformed less as it travels down the bore but not sure if it offers that much of an advantage over chilled shot.

I use chilled lead #5 for just about everything these days. There aren't enough smaller game birds like quail or partridge around here anymore to make it worth loading finer shot for them.
#5 carries energy well so one needs less hits with it, which means less shot in your game, and is larger and easier to pick out what is there. I mostly hunt squirrel, turkeys, and pheasant, with shot, #5 seems a good compromise between the energy of #4 and the pattern of #6. I use a little more powder, 1/8 oz more shot,,,, and the Skychief load for turkey.

I usually shoot #4 shot.
I bought an antique English shot dispenser that still was full of BB size shot in it, it patterns great, I’m going to try it on geese this year.

9161539F-1659-4C04-A39B-426343644521.jpeg

Depends on the game. Partidge(Ruffed Grouse), dove, woodcock I like 7 1/2. For Rabbits, squirrels, and turkey, size 6. Bore, .62, 1 Oz load for all game with a muzzleloader.

Where are you guys sourcing your shot these days? I haven't had to buy shot for several years but the last time I did I went through Ballistic Products.

This is a topic where a lot of different answers are "right", or at least work.

Personally I've been using 7 1/2 chilled on grouse, woodcock, chukar, pigeons, and phaesant in some locations. I have some copper plated (wash really) 6's that I use where pheasant shots will likely be longer, or in the second barrel which is generally a longer shot. Black powder does not accelerate the load as fast as modern powders so chilled shot is less distorted by the blast than in a modern gun. I do not believe that the copper plated shot provides any superior performance compared to chilled shot, but the copper color enables me to see the difference between the two shot sizes without my glasses, which is helpful in the field.

For clays, I like 8 1/2's. It allows good pattern density in a comfy 3/4 ounce load, and breaks targets, including rabbits, when I hit them. I never seen 8 1/2's in chilled so I use magnum.

Shot is very hard to find right now. A local guy who supplies trap shooters in new England got a shipment of 22 tons last June, and had sold out in just about a week. Precision Reloading had shot last I looked, but they wanted over $90 a bag with shipping.

Back