• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failed attempt...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wick246

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

About 15 or so years ago I started a Hawken gun project. After reading what I could find and setting my aspirations very high, I ordered parts and began building. Unfortunately my limited experience led to many mistakes. I struggled on as far as I could until frustration won and I ground to a halt. Through the years the gun sat in a closet and after a couple of moves some of the parts were lost. The last couple of weeks I have been getting the urge to start working on this project again. I'm trying to come up with a list of parts and a new direction to successfully complete this rifle. Unfortunately I believe the stock is a loss, too many critical structural errors to overcome and make anything I'd be happy with. I've had a hard time figuring out where some of the parts I bought came from so I can decide if any of the pre-inlet stocks would work with the components I already have.

109.jpg

103.jpg

093.jpg

092.jpg

100.jpg

089.jpg

The barrel is a 36" x 1" Green Mountain .54 caliber. The tennons, sights and breech plug have already been installed. I had Davis triggers and I believe a Griffith lock from here:
Link The lock and trigger guts were removed for inletting and were some of the parts that were lost :shake: along with the ramrod tubes, under rib and screws. I do have the buttplate, trigger guard, barrel with breech plug, sights and tennons installed, and the nose cap.
Not sure if I want to use another maple stock or if walnut would be more fitting. With the mix of parts I already have I think a pre-inlet stock would not work out. Any thoughts on the direction I should take from here? Any recommendations on a supplier for the stock?

Thanks,
Chad

What are the structural problems that are bothering you? That's too nice of a stock to throw away. A precarved stock with that kind of curl is going to run you at least $250. I don't see anything in your pictures that would make it a complete loss. With the advice of the experienced builders on this forum, you should have it fixed up and done in no time.

I concur with Bioprof...that's beautiful raw material you have there, and I can see very little that looks seriously wrong with your work. "cept for losing parts. If those are all you've mislaid in fifteen years, you're doing well! I can set something on my workbench, directly in front of me, and it's gone in seconds. Either a space warp or clutter, not sure which....

The problems with the stock are numerous but the main issue is how the layout has created a really thin wrist.

089.jpg

Final shaping is going to make it even worse. I removed too much wood behind the breech plug and under the tang. Apparently I added some wood to try and fix this. In the years since I have learned some stronger and cleaner looking methods for adding wood.

102.jpg

Also the lock I posted a link to is a little different looking than the 5" x 1" one I originally inletted for. A size is not listed. If I can't find another lock with the same size and shape lock plate the only thing I can think to do is to weld all the holes in the plate I have and re-drill holes to transplant the workings from another lock.

wick246 said:
Also the lock I posted a link to is a little different looking than the 5" x 1" one I originally inletted for. A size is not listed. If I can't find another lock with the same size and shape lock plate the only thing I can think to do is to weld all the holes in the plate I have and re-drill holes to transplant the workings from another lock.

:confused:

You have a lockplate that fits this hole but no guts ? You lost me on this part.

I say find the lock you had or a replacement like it, Someone probably still makes it. Finish the rifle, stain it dark & go on. Most people will not even notice the errors & so what if they do..... Shoot the rifle & enjoy it, you have too much into it to back out now.
:thumbsup:

That is a killer piece of maple. Hard to tell from the pics but would glass bedding the boo boos work? It seems like most of the issues will be hidden.

What are the dimensions of the wrist?

I feel you pain! My number one sat for years until I got the urge to finish her. But the more I worked on her the more I saw it was hopeless. I threw in the towel stripped the parts from the stock and consigned her to the scrap box. I ordered a new stock and went on from there.

I hate to see a nice piece of wood go to waste so save the stock as you can use it for other projects (patchbox lids, knifle handles, patches for inletting opps).

I agree with Birddog6. That's a beautiful stock and it looks salvageable to me.

Birddog6 said:
:confused:

You have a lockplate that fits this hole but no guts ? You lost me on this part.

Yes I have the plate but most of the working parts on the back side were lost. Now I can't seem to find anyone selling the same lock. It is 5" x 1" and has the rounded instead of squared front upper corner.

Capt. Fred said:
That is a killer piece of maple. Hard to tell from the pics but would glass bedding the boo boos work? It seems like most of the issues will be hidden.

What are the dimensions of the wrist?

I'll get some measurements tonight... Your excellent rifle is giving me some drive to go on - nice work!

Rookie builder here, but - Lock looks like a Chambers/Siler Mountain lock. If not, one of the various Hawken/Leman locks might be able to be substituted. Or get a Chambers "gunbuilders" lock (you shape the lockplate to fit your existing inlet). Check your lockplate against what is in the TOW catalog (the hard copy, not the internet) as they are full-size and "actual" dimensions - should be able to find suitable "guts" somewhere for the lockplate you have.

That piece of wood is real pretty, it would be a shame to dump it. You say the wrist is too "petite", heck most gun builders seem to try to get that area as thin as possible. IMO, you should just finish it and have fun shooting it . . .

If you are gonna trash the stock I'll give you $40.00 for it plus pay shipping. You're not really going to throw it away are you? That is a seriously nice piece of wood.

Chad, that looks alot like the Griffith lock and breech set that I used to make my Hawken. If I were you I'd call them and see if they have the guts for it. The plate I have on mine is 5 x 1 as well. As for the stock, try to fix it. Thin the right side of the wrist a tad more and it'll look alot like mine. Your butt plate is different than the one I used, but I couldn't tell from you pic what's wrong with it. I recall getting my stock from Pecatonica and told them what parts I was using and really had no problem. If you must, once you get the lock part straightened out, give them a call and make sure you let them know what parts you plan on using.
Just my 2 cents.
Gary

If that is a Griffith lock, it is one of the best locks ever made for a Hawken. I'd call the Hawken Shop and see if they have any parts for it. The springs in these locks were forged, not cast and last forever.

Finish the rifle the best way you can and use it. If you just can't stand the way it looks, you can always restock it later.

I sent an email to the Hawken shop asking for dimensions of their Griffith lock. If it is the right size I will order it and try to continue on with this stock. Maybe with some careful shaping it can live on as a slimmer earlier version Hawken...

Run what you brung! You are too far along to scrap it. I see a lot of possibity there and it's a nice piece of wood. For a first build you can't expect perfect so don't beat yourself up over it. Most of the boo-boo's nobody will notice but you and if they bother you when you're done sell it and build a better one with the experience you got on the first one. Also it looks like the griffith lock! Ron

You said that you removed too much wood from the tang and breech inlets? That can easily be fixed with a little Acuraglass, so don't sweat it.

The metal parts that are riding a little high can be filed down to fit. Most modern metal parts are too thick, so filing metal parts to fit is common, so don't sweat that.

If the Hawken Shop can't provide replacement parts, check Track of the Wolf's catalog. They have full size photos of all locks and furniture so you can match a new lock to the dimensions of your plate. So don't sweat that.

You mention that the wrist is too small? many rifles did have rather small wrists and thin forstocks. IMHO, too many modern made guns have waaaaayyyy too much wood on them, including Hawken replicas. So, don't sweat that, just put 'er together and shoot the daylights out of 'er.

That rifle will grow on you, in time, if not as soon as you fire the first shot. :wink:

God bless,
J.D.

Thanks guys...

The wrist measures 1 7/16" tall and 1 3/8" wide at it's smallest point just in front of the comb. I'm not concerned with the width, just the height. The combination of cast off and a tang that is not exactly straight will make it have to sit off center in the stock. I looks unsightly but the rifle sure feels good to bring to the shoulder and the sights are in perfect alignment with my eye. The metal parts that are high in the pictures are because I have lost the screws to hold it all together, they sit at or below the wood when fastened. The Hawken Shop emailed back and the Griffith lock seems to be the correct size so it looks like thats the way I will go.

The two Hawkens I've got are 1 3/8" wide and 1 1/2 inch tall. These dimensions were taken right off their full size plans. ( track of the Wolf and a Don Stith kit) So I think your fine. I personaly would glass bed the tang and the last 4 to 6 inches of the barrel. It's real easy to do with the brownells gel. That way you can be sure you've got real good support when you lock up your tang bolts.

I can't wait to see the finish go on that piece of wood. Look up Zonie's posts on lyewater treatment. It might be the pics but it looks to me that your stock has a lot of tanin in the grain. The TOTW kit I built had a similar coloring before the treatment and the lye made the curls jump right out.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

I ordered the parts to complete it today. The new lock from the Hawken Shop, triggers and the rest of the hard parts from TOTW. I'm sure I can make a decent shooter out of her and with a little luck (or a lot) maybe she won't look to disfigured. It will be a long wait on shipping.

Back