• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Failed at Flint & Steel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtle2

40 Cal
Reaction score
At a Mountain Man Walk this past weekend I failed :redface: at getting a fire started with flint and steel.
We had to use material at hand for a birds nest and I tried to use what dry grass I could find (we've had a wet year for a change).
After two tries of trying to get the lit char to burst into flames I took a "no score". :cursing:
I've never had trouble getting my birds nest into a flame but I sure did this weekend.
What natural material have you buckskinners found will ignite easily or should I have tried something else in my birds nest? Remember...it had to be material at hand which was basically pine trees and green grass.

-turtle-

Pine trees and Green grass.....you never had much to choose from.Was there any dead pine needles on the ground?Might be able to make a nest out of them.I plan on trying various things for nesting material this fall while in the Deer woods.Any and all suggestions would be tried.

My second attempt was a nest consisting of what dead grass I could find and dry pine needles from the base of trees. On this second try I even added char to the nest thinking I just needed more heat. Plenty of smoke.....just no fire.

-turtle-

If the branches are low enough(easy to reach) pine needles will catch and collect on the limbs. It takes a bit to gather, but these are usually more dry than what can be collected off of the ground.

In my neck of the woods, I usually try to find some Birch paper. This stuff will usually light even when damp.

Rick

I pulled up a bunch of dead long swamp grass and hung it by my campfire awhile,It went up in four seconds,It was better than my Jute twine.Its the stuff that grows in clumps sticking up out of wetlands around here.

Pine needles from a road where they've been run over a lot work about as well as shredded jute rope. Here in FL, some palm tree bark materials work well. The inner bark from red (or white) cedar also work nicely.

High humidity makes it harder.

Turtle2, you didn't fail, you might not have got a fire goin but least you tried, i'm putting on a club shoot this weekend and they won't let me put firestart on the woodswalk..nobody wants to do it, too complicated... :shocked2: :shake: ...sad very sad... as fer fire, think the guys have covered it,pine,grass birch..dry leaves...(but I have seen shirts start! true! unintentional ,but nice flame! RC :thumbsup:

RC said:
***SNIP***
but I have seen shirts start! true! unintentional ,but nice flame! RC :thumbsup:

Yeah RC, I was at the Bordentown reenactment this past weekend and a spark from a gun about 10 feet away (in the woods mind you) got on a friend's linen shirt and started eating it up. A couple of us doused it with our canteens, but I was surprised how easily it caught and how quickly it turned into a quarter-size hole.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Turtle2: Always pick your tinder from standing trees: NEVER use materials found on the ground. Every night, the temperature drops, and the air can't hold the same amount of water it did when it was warmer. Even in the desert, that moisture- however small- drops to the ground. In deserts, the sand will form a " crust " from the moisture that " glues " the granules together. In wooded areas and in grasslands, that moisture will be soaked into anything on the ground. The moisture in the ground will also be soaked UP into the debris on the surface, just like a paper towel soaks up water off the floor.

Use the " snap " test to pick your tinder. All evergreens, both trees and bushes, have dead branches and twigs inside the green outer growth. If the twig or branch "SNAPS" easily in your finger, its not only dead, but DRY enough to be used to start a fire.

Find dead leaves and grass that can be tinder by looking in shaded places out of the wind and rains. Under a rock overhang, or under an old tree that has blown down, or is tilted against another tree. Look for birds nests. By this time of year, most of last year's nests have been torn apart and the materials used to make new nests. Since the young birds are not quite all out of the nest yet, you may have to wait to harvest this year's nest, but by late summer, those nests will be abandoned, too. Look for Hornet's nests. You will have to knock them down into a bucket of water to drown the hornets, but when you dry the material out, it makes very good tinder.

The inner bark of many trees can be dried in the sun on rocks, or stumps, or trunks of trees, and when it crumbles in your hand when you rub it between your two hands, it is usually dry enough to serve as tinder. Test dead leaves you find in shaded areas the same way you test other materials. It should crumble in your hands when rubbed together if its dry enough to be tinder. If it does not crumble, pass on it, and find something dryer.

If you do use flint and steel and charred clothe to make fire, you can used the charred cloth as a bast to help heat and dry out your other materials, on a cloudy day. It will take lots of blowing to keep the heat high enough to burn the damp materials, but with continued supplies of forced air, the temperature can be raised enough to create flame and burn on its own. The secret is to keep the area that you want to burn small, and tightly compacted so that any heat generated by your blowing on the charred cloth will immediately dryout the other materials. Have a stack of pine or spruce needles to add to the flames or embers as you continue to blow. The resin will help the needles burn, and the oils will produce a hotter flame and ember than simple sticks.

I had some hemp rope, that absorbed moisture from the ground and from our hands on a very HOT July morning, with high humidity. We made the mistake of holding it in our hands while we prepared the rest of the material for display to our students. When it would not fire, we put it aside, on an exposed rock, to dry in the sun,while we used another piece of hemp to make a nest. ABout 10 minutes later, the damp hemp was dry enough that we got a fire going using it.

Its imperative that you keep your tinder dry by not only protecting it from the air, but also from your own body. Provided, that in the winter, when the relative humidity is bone dry, and even your sweat dissipates in seconds, keeping tinder under your outer jacket and over your cloths, no matter how much you have perspired, usually will not make the tinder worthless for making a fire. If anything, when you remove tinder from your inner pockets, whatever humidity will be drawn off as the temperature of the tinder is lowered quickly to the temperature of the air around it. Sub freezing temperatures actually make fire starting a little bit easier.

How about Spanish Moss?

“I observed here a kind of Moss I had never seen before; it grows in great Quantities upon the large Trees, and hangs down 3 or 4 Yards from the Boughs; it gives a noble, ancient and hoary Look to the Woods; it is of a whitish green Colour, but when dried, is black like Horse-hair. This the Indians use for wadding their Guns, and making their Couches soft under the Skins of Beasts, which serve them for beds. They use it also for Tinder, striking Fire by flashing the Pans of their Guns into a handful of it, and for all other Uses where old Linnen would be necessary.”

Moore, Francis. A Voyage to Georgia, Begun in the Year 1735. London: Jacob Robinson, 1744.

Back