• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

F & I Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What would be a good, correct period style knife for a hunter of the 1750-1760 period? I have the James Townsend longhunter knive. It is a good looking knife, but I feel it may appear too commercial. Would the English or French trade knives offered by Track of the Wolf be correct? If not, do any supply houses offer these?
Thanks.

Tim Ridge makes some fine knives that would fit into this period. I have one of his with an antler handle and 11 inch blade. Hes a great feller to do business with and his knives are top notch.Try this link to his site. Have a good un! Link :thumbsup:

Tim makes fine knives and I have three of his. But you can make a representative period knife yourself pretty easy. Most common hunters carried "butcher" knives--plain straight-bladed knives with wood slab handles and no guards. I search flea markets and antique stores for old carbon steel knives, which typically run under $10, and re-handle them with common woods like oak, maple or walnut--using small iron pins instead of rivets or brass. I make the pins using nails. The trade knives you mention were traded or given to the Indians in large numbers and depending on your persona could be used as well. Another fine maker of period knives is Mickey Wise--check out his website as well for his primitive knife, a forged blade in antler with a poured pewter bolster.

Latest posts

Back