• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Eyes opened by Chrono numbers!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been shooting Shooter's World ( A.P.P.) 3f powder for a year now getting fair groups out to 50 yards but no hits on paper at 100. So today I drug out the chronograph and found some answers. 75 grains with patched ball gave me 850 to 1050 fps. What!!!!????? So I get out the T-7. 1600 fps with low E.S. I tried 300 gr. REAL bullets with 90 grs A.P.P. Same erratic disappointment. I found that 130 grains of unAmerican pioneer couldn't come close to 90 of T-7. Time to get some holy black!

So I've been shooting Shooter's World ( A.P.P.) 3f powder for a year now getting fair groups out to 50 yards but no hits on paper at 100. So today I drug out the chronograph and found some answers. 75 grains with patched ball gave me 850 to 1050 fps. What!!!!????? So I get out the T-7. 1600 fps with low E.S. I tried 300 gr. REAL bullets with 90 grs A.P.P. Same erratic disappointment. I found that 130 grains of unAmerican pioneer couldn't come close to 90 of T-7. Time to get some holy black!
Quit shooting the poor substitutes and shoot real black. They ARE called subsitutes for a reason!! If you absolutely must shoot a sub, shoot Pyrodex. APP, T7 and the like are awful.

Track of the Wolf, Grafs, Maine Powder House, Travelers Antiques just to name a few, are reputable vendors of real black.

Some folks love American Pioneer Powder. They will be along shortly to explain what you are doing wrong. Personally, I have found the various iterations of APP to be poor performers at best, but that’s just one person’s opinion. Believe the Jim Shockey sugar cube sticks were about the worst example, but only played with them once at the range. Could all those full page ads be wrong????

My chrono committed suicide last week.

It was probably trying to shoot back and accidentally shot itself. 🙃

Personally, I have found the various iterations of APP to be poor performers at best, but that’s just one person’s opinion.

It never ceases to amaze me how that stuff keeps bouncing back with new names and crazy promises. 🤪

I had REALLY good luck with Black MZ at $9.99 a lb (Sportsmans Warehouse) till they discountued it. I like T7 best of all the other subs but LOVED Black MZ. Best accuracy and easiest clean up ever. Of course now I stocked up irresponsibly well on Schutzen and am shooting real. I can say my Pietta shot REAL OLD pyrodex just as well as the 3f Schutezen though?

IMG_0593.jpeg

18th century powder tester. Bad powder is not a new thing.

I had REALLY good luck with Black MZ at $9.99 a lb (Sportsmans Warehouse) till they discountued it. I like T7 best of all the other subs but LOVED Black MZ. Best accuracy and easiest clean up ever. Of course now I stocked up irresponsibly well on Schutzen and am shooting real. I can say my Pietta shot REAL OLD pyrodex just as well as the 3f Schutezen though?
I actually like pyrodex p in my pistols more than 3f schuetzen or goex. This is not the same for my long guns.

I loved Black MZ too. It was supposedly made for Hornady by A.P.P. but for some reason they can't make anything that good themselves!?🤔

Lol that's American pioneer powder for you buddy. It's slow and not entirely consistent in velocity.

thanks SB. of course it is listed as unavailable. maybe i will make one. have a spare lock laying around.
The women that worked for me years ago gave me one as a ‘gag’ gift for my birthday and I kept the thing on my desk. Multiple ensuing discussions with HR whether not it was a ‘weapon’ or could be used as one. Looked too scary. After quite the ruckus brought it home…. It resides safely in box somewhere today. Heard the last of that group recently passed. Might be time to bring it out and put in a place of honor.

A friend gave me some strange unknown black powder sub years ago. Huge grey grains, almost like very small gravel. No power or velocity whatsoever. The round ball bounced off my plywood target board and rolled lazily back towards me on the ground!

Latest posts

Back