• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chrono results from .50 Traditions Deer Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe we develop our rifle Hunting load for whatever gives us best accuracy. No wait. An extremely puny load is of course hasn't sufficient power, but we certainly don't need heavy charges. U know what I mean: accuracy is everything, within reason.

Thank you for the comparison. I like to see information such as that. Gives us a good idea on where one might start.

For hunting, I always go for the fastest and most accurate load combined.

I believe we develop our rifle Hunting load for whatever gives us best accuracy. No wait. An extremely puny load is of course hasn't sufficient power, but we certainly don't need heavy charges. U know what I mean: accuracy is everything, within reason.

I agree. To place accuracy as the all important and sole criteria for the hunting load can send a beginning hunter into the field with less than needed in the power aspect.

I have my own experience to rely on in the power adequacy department and I'm happy to leave it at that. 😀

Over 20 years ago I chronographed my DeerHunter .50. It had killed a lot of deer and I wanted to finally scratch my itch. Using my usual 3F Goex load - which memory has failed me - I do recall however the velocity. Can't recall the precise numbers but I got between 1700 fps and 1800 fps. I've only hunted with prb and nothing else.

The CVA Gamester Hawken and Bobcat (the fore-runners of the Deerhunter) and the Traditions Deerhunter are fantastic little hunting carbines that are NOT given their due. Inexpensive, yet very effective. My CVA is decades old and is still 100% reliable and accurate. My Deerhunter is 10+ years old has killed a train load of deer.

Back