• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Experience / Opinions on Cabela's double shotguns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Navy Arms 12 ga like Rebels and I cap both barrels. When I shoot doubles on clays or if I am hunting over a dog on point i will have both barrels capped and full cock. I have never had my gun double but I have shot others that have. Wakes you right up but makes hittig the first bird easy. The second bird is a bit harder. I havn't mastered that yet. It took me a little while to get used to looking down 2 barrels but now I prefer it. It may take a little practice to get used to the gun but you will love it. Good luck.

Berk

I have had a Ped. 12 ga dbl for many years. Mine has the screw in chokes. I have all four chokes for this gun and use mostly the full and modified. I have shot turkey, pheasants, and ducks with this gun. The best load for me has been 80 grains of bp thin card over powder then a felt wad then 11/4 oz #5 bismuth in a paper cartridge with a thin card over to hold the shot in place. I cap both barrels but be very cautious and DO NOT reload a fired barrel until you remove the cap from the unfired barrel!!

Well, my wads and whatnot finally arrived from TOTW, but I don't know if I'll have a chance to shoot for a while. Leaving for a family reunion / grandparents' 50th anniversary cruise on thursday. Should be a "blast" but of a different kind.

I got the thin overpowder wads, and .5" pre-lubed wads, and thin overshot wads. They are the "A B C" wads. Heheh. Keep it simple, stupid to start out. :blah:

I got a cleaning rod, and I made sure all my attachments fit. Finally figured out how to take the barrels off too. :redface:

I will go slow for sure to start out. This will be much different than anything I've done before I think. One cap at a time.

Now, maybe if I work through lunch tomorrow...

My two cents. I got a 10 gauge from cabellas about six years ago. I have taken it out duck hunting a few times, but I haven't been lucky enough to bring down a duck yet. It is really fun to see the reactions of other hunters nearby when unloading at the end of the day. I always cap both nipples and have had no problem shooting one after another. However if you fire only one barrel uncap the other and make sure the load hasn't come loose. While squirrle hunting I had a reminder of this after shooting I pointed the barrel down, and out rolled the shot. Surprisingly the big ten bore is easy to carry in the field although when loaded up for ducks it packs a wallup on the entire body, but that's half the fun. All the people that I hunt with are afraid to shoot it. :haha:

Rusty Nipple

Just a word to all you Pietta double owners.

I got my hands on a wonderful 12 gauge a few months ago. It looks like a new gun, in and out (I think it hung on a wall), and I'm very pleased with it.

But I was worried about parts since these guns are not made anymore.

Well... I went to their websight and found the customer relations email address.

I emailed them, telling them that the gun is in pretty good shape but the locks are a little worn and asked if any lock parts were still available. (Nothing was wrong, but considering that it was out of production, I figured that it would be a good idea to have some spare lock parts.)

In about 3 days I got a very nice email from Italy reassuring me that, yes they are no longer made, but some parts were available.

Make a long story short, I answered the email asking for any lock parts that may still be available and that I'd be happy to purchase them.
[url] Well...in[/url] about 10 days I gor a package from Pietta with two brandie new locks were in it, No Charge!

Now I have a gun that I know I will enjoy for another 20 years.

Give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tamara you made the right choice of shotguns , I have one in 12 ga also it's become my favorite toy to go chase quail . I have several coveys around my 30 acre yard and I'd much rather chase them with my pedersoli than any of my smokeless powder shotguns . Take your time to get used to yours and I'm sure you will love it as much as I do mine . You stated that you got your wads and cards now go get your self some # 4 6 8 shot and go have some real fun , good luck

Back