• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wm. Greenfell 10 Bore Double: Information and Repair Guidance

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently worked a deal with a friend and found myself with this neat old 10 bore double. I’d blush if I told anyone what I ended up having invested in it.

The locks are marked “Wm. Greenfell” and the barrels are Birmingham proofed. If anyone has information on the maker, I would enjoy learning more about it’s history.

The barrels seem sound, and I would like to repair and do a slight restoration (re-brown) and get it shooting some light loads for small game hunting.

Right now the left side lock will not lock. I have narrowed it to a weak sear spring not forcing the sear to seat on the lock. It also needs to have the hammer screw replaced. Does anyone know where I might find parts or someone who I could send the lock to for repair?

Attachments

• IMG_5476.jpeg
    IMG_5476.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5477.jpeg
    IMG_5477.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5478.jpeg
    IMG_5478.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5479.jpeg
    IMG_5479.jpeg
    978.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5480.jpeg
    IMG_5480.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5481.jpeg
    IMG_5481.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5482.jpeg
    IMG_5482.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5483.jpeg
    IMG_5483.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5484.jpeg
    IMG_5484.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Can't help much other than to suggest you talk to Brad Emig at Cabin Creek about the lock. I have had him repair/tune several flintlocks. I would imagine he does the same for percussion but don't know for sure. Call him. Nice guy. Good luck. https://cabincreek.net/
Thanks for the suggestion. I spoke with Brad yesterday, and though reluctant to take on an old percussion lock, he did agree to work on it, and it’s now on its way to PA for repair.
He’s seems like a heck of a nice guy.

Bumping this back up for advice on lock repair.
There were many serviceable guns made everywhere where the name was a play on words of a famous gunmaker.

Wm. Greenfell is an apparent spin on WW. Greener.

I'd drop by the gunbuilders bench and ask about repairing the lock.

Also, British double guns were known to be brazed, not silver soldered as Belgium guns.
Any heat applied to the barrels and you'll run a great risk of them separating.

I recently worked a deal with a friend and found myself with this neat old 10 bore double. I’d blush if I told anyone what I ended up having invested in it.

The locks are marked “Wm. Greenfell” and the barrels are Birmingham proofed. If anyone has information on the maker, I would enjoy learning more about it’s history.

The barrels seem sound, and I would like to repair and do a slight restoration (re-brown) and get it shooting some light loads for small game hunting.

Right now the left side lock will not lock. I have narrowed it to a weak sear spring not forcing the sear to seat on the lock. It also needs to have the hammer screw replaced. Does anyone know where I might find parts or someone who I could send the lock to for repair?
There were many serviceable guns made everywhere where the name was a play on words of a famous gunmaker.

Wm. Greenfell is an apparent spin on WW. Greener.

I'd drop by the gunbuilders bench and ask about repairing the lock.

Also, British double guns were known to be brazed, not silver soldered as Belgium guns.
Any heat applied to the barrels and you'll run a great risk of them separating.
What you have is a very late percussion , built approx. 1891-1896 by the then company know has Greenfell & Accles Ltd at the engineering works Perry Barr which was the former Arms and Munitions works owned by Henry Greenfell
Has for your lock this is mainly the sear spring which is just home made and too weak

Just an update. I believe I have fixed this old gun with the expertise of Brad Emig and JB Weld Metal putty.

I sent the lock to Cabin Creek, and after what was a pricey but quality repair, the left hand lock was back in business. However, upon reinstalling the lock, I discovered that the rear trigger was not pushing the sear high enough to release the lock.

I attempted an amateur soldering job, which failed miserably. Then I decided to explore the fantastical world of JB Weld. Using their metal putty, I built up around the sear so that the trigger would engage it. It took a little filing once the putty set, but the lock is running great and the rear trigger is reliably releasing the lock.

I’m so happy to have this done and dusted, it’s been bugging me for some time. Now I just need to get out and shoot it.

Latest posts

Back