• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Every Type of C&B

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was raised shooting Italian Colt clones, so the Remingtons look funny to me. The strap just looks extra and un-neded. Now I understand how the top strap is desireable but visualy it throws me off.

Lately I have been drifting away from revolvers and the single shot pistols have gotten alot of my recent attention.

When I was first looking at cap n ball guns I was looking at the Walker and Dragoon. I felt the Walker was the best looking, and outside of a poor design for keeping the loading lever in it's place, the best.

Many of the Colt's look as though he was mix matching parts with the gap between the cylinder and barrel assembly.

And I never really liked (still) the complete cut out for conicals, which is one of the things I liked about the Walker.

I couldn't stand the frilly looking loading lever of the Remington either. But having an Old Army has softened that view a bit. And the easy exchange of cylinders for it helped. Nice idea.

But they were revolutionary and the best thing at the time, and I appreciate them for what they are.

Squirrel Tail said:
rodwha said:
I began only liking the looks of the Colt's as well. The Remington just looked too strange to me. But my Ruger Old Army seems to have softened me up to the looks.

They each have their good and bad points.

Well, I always thought the Remingtons looked good and the Colts looked weird, and fundamentally unsafe, with no top strap. But I've begun to appreciate the Colts lines and one may be my next gun purchase.

That weird look is one of the redeeming qualities of early percussion revolvers. Too bad that repros of European design haven't been produced. But hey, I want a 1858 Remington reamed and rifled to shoot .41 caliber bullets.

I have wondered if it were possible to ream a .36 cal to accept .40 cal RB's. Especially something like a '62 Pocket Police (Uberti version).

Has this ben done?

Nice!

But I was thinking along the lines of it still being cap n ball...

I'd assume that, despite it being much metal taken out (figuring the chambers would be ~.394-7" and groove of .397-.4" or so), you'd probably need to reduce the load somewhat, and finding a smith willing do such might be hard.

I've been considering a Uberti 1858 .44 and having it opened up a bit so that I can share conicals with the Old Army I have...

I have 15, wait 16 black powder pistols and no 2 are the same. I enjoy each and every one of them.

I've got a couple myself

C-and-B-guns.jpg

Thanks, but don't buy a Classic Arms pepperbox.

That thing is the biggest piece of scat that was ever made by mankind.

Well, OK, maybe not the biggest but it certainly deserves honorable mention on the manure list.

If you ever run across one of the pepperboxes sold by Hoppe's back in the '80's it might be worth buying but the Classic Arms thing definitely is not.

Zonie said:
Thanks, but don't buy a Classic Arms pepperbox.
That thing is the biggest piece of scat that was ever made by mankind.
Zonie
Now you did it, how am I ever going to unload the kits I am stuck with?
No disagreement from me on how nice they are not.

Why did I ever buy them?
William Alexander

Bobby Guapo said:
I am hooked on Cap & Ball Pistols. I am going to get one of every Colt type C&P Pistol I can think of.
One of the cap & balls not yet listed here.

I want a 5 shot .36 calibers Remington 1858 pocket police. At least a good picture of one.

William Alexander

A 1863 Remington Zouve.
At the far left is the tip of a triangular Enfield bayonet and a little (Italian) Colt flask for a Colt .31.

"I want a 5 shot .36 calibers Remington 1858 pocket police."

I had no idea such a thing existed. That would be cool! Were any repro's made? What was the barrel length?

Latest posts

Back