• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Every Type of C&B

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am hooked on Cap & Ball Pistols. I am going to get one of every Colt type C&P Pistol I can think of.

I know of-
the Patterson,
the Walker,
3 models of Dragoon,
the 1851 Navy
the 1860 Army
the 1861 Navy.

I only want stuff that is original caliber.

What else is there?

1862 Pocket Navy and Pocket Police

Are you stuck on Colt or would you get into a Remington or Spiller & Burr?

There are others, but I'm not certain reproductions can be had (new).

Additionally, at various times, reproductions have been made of:
Leech & Rigdon
Griswold & Gunnison
Dance Brothers
LeMatt

I would like a copy of the 1861 Whitney navy but understand that the only company that made them was Palmetto which I understand had lots of quality issues.

I began only liking the looks of the Colt's as well. The Remington just looked too strange to me. But my Ruger Old Army seems to have softened me up to the looks.

They each have their good and bad points.

rodwha said:
I began only liking the looks of the Colt's as well. The Remington just looked too strange to me. But my Ruger Old Army seems to have softened me up to the looks.

They each have their good and bad points.

Well, I always thought the Remingtons looked good and the Colts looked weird, and fundamentally unsafe, with no top strap. But I've begun to appreciate the Colts lines and one may be my next gun purchase.

Coot said it. You will limit yourself.
Two months ago I started with
one an 1851 Navy, now have three, two Colts and a Remington.
All replicas. At the price of the guns and shot, this is a great hobby.
Now getting steeped in Civil War history..... LOVE IT!

Squirrel Tail said:
...and the Colts looked weird, and fundamentally unsafe, with no top strap.

That's a rather odd thing to say of a type firearm that must have sold well into the many millions...... :hmm:

tac

I didn't say they were weak, but just that when I started looking at getting a blackpowder revolver the Colts, with no top strap, looked a weak to me. I originally thought that the only thing holding the barrel in position was the bottom of the frame below the loading lever. I know many, many thousands of originals and reproductions have functioned fine, so they are not weak, the design still looks weak to me, the Remington top strap looks stronger. Possibly a bias from seeing more modern revolvers, none of which I've ever seen without a top strap, like a Colt.

I like all the C&B Revolvers and I like how the Remingtons look as well. The Colts always looked funny to me also but in recent years I started to "get it" and prefer them to others.

Do we feel that Ubirti or Pietta are closser to actual demisions and sizes of the Colts?

I know I am limmiting myself but if I did not limmit myself I would sell all I own and get one of everything. I have to stay in my limmits until I get my limmits and then I will expand to Remingtons and others. I am not yet a fan of the La Matt but in time I am sure I will be.

Bobby Guapo said:
Do we feel that Uberti or Pietta are closser to actual demisions and sizes of the Colts?
Beyond minor differances in the grip it's really not about "actual dimentions" because of obviuos paten issues, copyright an all that.

It's about the fit and finish of parts, internal and external, and how they relate to functionality.
The general consensus is Uberti spends more time with quality, with Pietta needing simple and minor Finishing/Tuneing to make them what you want.
If your not capable of doing some minor fitting of revovler componants then cap & ball revovlers aren't going to be your cup of tea, might as well stay with modern designs.

As bad as I hate to admit it, I used to think the Colt's looked weird too. I never even considered them. Then, like so many other things, once I tried it I was hooked. Now I have eight of the danged topless things with many more to come. :youcrazy:

Back