• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Every Once In A While The Patch...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...suggestion comes up with the loading of cap and ball revolvers.

First time I ever heard of such a thing, I walked into a gun shop run by an old gunny that had a modest selection of antique firearms and accoutrements. He said he loaded each chamber with a patched round ball, I bought some dried out wads and left to go shooting the right way.

Every once in a while it comes up again, even here, on an adjoining thread, that Pietta recommends patching the ball on a sixgun.

I don't think for a moment Mr. Pietta would condone such as we've conversed before and he seemed well versed on all manner of sixguns.

What say you?

that Pietta recommends patching the ball on a sixgun

I could find no such recommendation....

Do you have a source?

Considering that they recommend an oversized ball, I don't see how adding a patch would even be physically possible.... :shocked2:

I'm sure the folks at Pietta were suggesting wadding up a patch to go between the powder and the ball if a very light powder load is desired.

They should be the first to realize actually patching the ball and then trying to force it into a chamber will only result in the sharp edges of the chamber mouth, punching a nice hole thru the patch.

I see.....
I thought you had something directly from Pietta.
Like Zonie said, I think we can infer that they were referring to a wad of sorts, and not patching it like a rifle......
I'm sure something was lost in the translation....

Seems I remember some old owners manuals from Spain and Italy using some "odd" terms....
Maybe I will see If I can find them....

In the post you refer to, Mr. T was talking about the ram on his pistol not being able to shove a roundball fully down on a small powder load.
He wrote that Pietta suggested loading "with a patch or wad...".

When I first read it, and now, after re-reading it I am sure Pietta intended the "patch or wad" to be used as a filler material between the ball and the powder.

As you know, a lot of people add corn meal or Cream of Wheat as a filler material on top of the powder charge to accomplish the same thing.

With the difficulty in wadding up a patch and cramming it into the chamber on top of the powder charge, and/or the high cost of .36 or .44 caliber wads I think the corn meal is the best answer.

swathdiver said:
"old gunny"
He said he loaded each chamber with a patched round ball

Well”¦”¦. I will admit to loading patched round balls in a cap & ball
I don’t recommend it, but it shot very well
A patched under sized ball

William Alexander

Maybe so. I experienced such when dealing with the Chicoms years ago.

Same here...I only found a few old manuals CVA, Traditions, and Investarms... My file cabinet is blocked and I could only open the door a little...

Much to my surprise, they were very well written...The old CVA manual actually had a lot of good information in it.....The Traditions was not as good....

azmntman said:
I would think the patch would "hang up" passing the cylinder and into the bore???
Not that I had ever noticed

In a .36 cap & ball I used a .345 round ball and enough paper around it for a good tight seal
I use a full chamber of 3F. It shot well for me

I am/was a long range shooter and that was more accurate for me at the time
I don’t see well enough to warrant the extra hassle any more.
Also I don’t recommend it. and yes I know :youcrazy:

William Alexander

I would think the patch would "strip" when moving from the cylinder into the barrel? When I forget the balls (and ya I have, and/or the powder, and/or the caps, and once the gun) I just go home and mow the lawn :idunno:

Back