• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fun with 777 in a pair of Piettas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a 2nd Pietta .44 Navy from a fellow board member , and having dropped in full flute cylinders into both of them. I had to touch up the forcing cones and set the b/c gap to about .003

20230407_122805.jpg

I took my Dad with me today so I wasn't really doing any serious shooting. I loaded them with 30gr of 777 "2f" , no wads, .454 balls. Popping off rounds right and left handed at 25 yards. 30 grains is more than enough pop with 777, and accuracy was good

Both CCI #11 Magnums and non-magnums lit off 777 with no problems

20230407_135642.jpg

I used an oiler bottle full of liquid patch lube after 5 cylinders, to put a few drops on the arbor in front of the cylinder when the guns got "gummy" and let it run down as I reloaded. Got things moving nicely and fired a few more cylinders. 777 does burn clean. Wads will probably let the guns run longer without having to re-oil the pin.

20230407_133442.jpg

I did lose a shoot-off with my Dad at about 15 yards, he had the Uberti .38 Richards-Mason conversion I bought him for Christmas.

20230407_135631.jpg

30 grains of the 2f version of 777 is more than enough power to kill paper and also feel like your shooting a healthy charge.

I love the Real Black , but subs have a place in my heart too. 777 burns clean, is a little easier to clean , and it's flat shooting .

Gunfighter mode is a fun shoot. My 1858 has a dangerous hair trigger but is good for that as it will fire off in that instant when the gun is on target and before a bad trigger pull will affect the shot. But don't ever pull back that hammer or put your finger in the trigger guard until you're ready to fire. It came that way from Uberti.

Gunfighter mode is a fun shoot. My 1858 has a dangerous hair trigger but is good for that as it will fire off in that instant when the gun is on target and before a bad trigger pull will affect the shot. But don't ever pull back that hammer or put your finger in the trigger guard until you're ready to fire. It came that way from Uberti.

Yikes!!! Light triggers are an accident waiting to happen!! Not only for you but those around you . . . I'd definitely take it to a Smith if you aren't comfortable fixing it yourself. Surely a Smith nowadays can still fix trigger engagement. I make sure all triggers have positive engagement and a minimum 2 1/2 lb trigger pull.
Positive engagement means the hammer will rock back slightly as the trigger is pulled. That's a built in safety.

Mike

Yikes!!! Light triggers are an accident waiting to happen!! Not only for you but those around you . . . I'd definitely take it to a Smith if you aren't comfortable fixing it yourself. Surely a Smith nowadays can still fix trigger engagement. I make sure all triggers have positive engagement and a minimum 2 1/2 lb trigger pull.
Positive engagement means the hammer will rock back slightly as the trigger is pulled. That's a built in safety.

Mike
I know this reply will seem irresponsible to you and others, but I really like that trigger. It eliminates the need to hold a front heavy gun on target during a trigger pull. I know and understand what I'm dealing with. It would never be used as a self defense gun or pointed at anything live. The hammer is only cocked with the gun horizontal pointed at the target. What you are saying is correct and the best advice. I am choosing to manage the risk which is sort of my lifestyle. I have about 40 of the deadliest snakes in the world in my house that requires about 150-200 interactions per month. I have never put anyone in danger with them and nor will I with my guns. Except, as the old cowboys used to say, those that need to be shot!

Understood sir!!
I know target shooters with the same deal as you describe. It was purely for the "general" audience. 😉

I like the " those that need to be shot" thing!! 🤣

Mike

I know this reply will seem irresponsible to you and others, but I really like that trigger. It eliminates the need to hold a front heavy gun on target during a trigger pull. I know and understand what I'm dealing with. It would never be used as a self defense gun or pointed at anything live. The hammer is only cocked with the gun horizontal pointed at the target. What you are saying is correct and the best advice. I am choosing to manage the risk which is sort of my lifestyle. I have about 40 of the deadliest snakes in the world in my house that requires about 150-200 interactions per month. I have never put anyone in danger with them and nor will I with my guns. Except, as the old cowboys used to say, those that need to be shot!
For guns that will never see a round outside a range, shooting at targets, it's all good . I don't see that as different than a target pistol with set triggers.

If Hamilton Bowen sets the trigger pull on my revolver to " the breeze of a gnat wing" weight it's cool.....if I set my Ruger .45 Bisley up with a light trigger it's "dangerous " 😆😆

I had a Kentucky pistol I removed the trigger guard on because I thought it looked cool and was easier to use for 25 yard target shooting......and people screamed at my face on here about it like I was endangering the lives of everyone within a 100 mile radius by having a trigger guard-less .45 Pedersoli Kentucky pistol I set up for Bullseye shooting 😃

Shooting "weak hand" is humbling
....you think you're getting back into form , targets are looking good.....you shoot some cylinders weak hand and it's like starting all over again

Light triggers under 1 pound are common and popular among NMLRA/NRA pistol match competitors. 1.5oz. For set trigger guns. 7oz. for Revolvers and Non-set triggers. They have their use. Not suggesting anyone use these light triggers for other than matche guns. I tune to add weight to my non-match BP pistols. 3.5 + pds. Depends on your use and skills...

I'm not skilled enough for a light trigger to do anything for me

I have a 6" S&W Highway Patrolman that was a Bullseye Match gun and the last owner had it worked over with a light but safe SA trigger. I can spray a target with .38 with one hand the same as any other of my revolvers. It's a diminishing return unless you're really good

Shooting "weak hand" is humbling
....you think you're getting back into form , targets are looking good.....you shoot some cylinders weak hand and it's like starting all over again
I have a weird situation. I'm right handed but left eye is way better and dominant so I learned to shoot lefty but pistols are also very comfortable in my right hand where I can still sight using my left eye. A two hand grip feels OK, but single hand shooting like that feels awkward. My self defense practice with modern autos always includes using both right and left hand grips. With long guns I have to stick with shooting only lefty. Sometimes its kinda neat seeing ejection port flashes and brass flying by on the unmentionables.

I'm not skilled enough for a light trigger to do anything for me

I have a 6" S&W Highway Patrolman that was a Bullseye Match gun and the last owner had it worked over with a light but safe SA trigger. I can spray a target with .38 with one hand the same as any other of my revolvers. It's a diminishing return unless you're really good
Mostly Master and High Master class seem to like the under 1# triggers. A few like about 2# as they compete in other sports that require heavier triggers so try to keep their triggers similar.

I have a weird situation. I'm right handed but left eye is way better and dominant so I learned to shoot lefty but pistols are also very comfortable in my right hand where I can still sight using my left eye. A two hand grip feels OK, but single hand shooting like that feels awkward. My self defense practice with modern autos always includes using both right and left hand grips. With long guns I have to stick with shooting only lefty. Sometimes its kinda neat seeing ejection port flashes and brass flying by on the unmentionables.
The vision in my left eye is better than my right eye, and I'm right handed.

It's only really an issue shooting rifles at 100+ yards and trying to be "really accurate" but I make it work

Latest posts

Back