• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Etching/engraving

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
After recently buying my first laser engraved gun, an 1851 Navy Colt, I've paid more attention to engraved guns and have seen a few examples of acid etched(?) older guns. I wonder, when did ACID etching first start being done on firearms?
IMG_20231019_123848907_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240112_142038311_HDR.jpg

My inquiring mind found some good old info on acid etching after I asked the question on here. My newly acquired October 1965 issue of MuzzleBlasts magazine has an article about the subject.
Not giving a time period the article states "The old time riflesmiths, before metal stamps came into use, etched their names on their products with acid."
The writer, Brass Tomahawk, goes on to tell how it was done by masking the surfaces with wax, then removing the wax, (he recommended a non-writing ball point pen), where the etching was wanted. The wax protected the surrounding metal. He points out that any mistakes can be corrected, even by removing the wax and starting over, up until the moment the acid is applied, with a medicine dropper. The acid used is either nitric acid or iron chloride(?). These were readily available in 1965, I don't know about today.
Just one of the many interesting articles I've found in my growing collection of MB magazines. I wish I had starting looking for them years ago!

I believe the builders referred to in the article were the old craftsmen who built guns one by one.

Back