• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Engraved Kibler Woodsrunner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Too-Tall

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I did a quick search but didnt find any results. Has anyone built of handled the new engraved option on the kibler kits. Basically wondering if the sanding and finishing is a pain to do with the engraving. My buddy wants to buy one and asked me. I know the basic woodsrunner kit is very minimal sanding and finishing needed, but no experience with the engraved version. He is a new builder and it will be his first gun.

The stock is rather smooth, but you still need to use 320 grit sandpaper to get the fine machining marks off. I noticed a few spots I missed after finishing mine. Too late now. You’ll also need a stiff brush to clean out the carvings after a light sanding.

Yes, as Mike pointed out, engraving is done on metal, and carving done on wood. I saw Jim Kibler had a nice video on carving a Woodsrunner stock. Easy to follow, just get those chisels really sharp.

I have one. The metal(including ramrod pipes)needs to be polished due to casting and milling marks. The barrel has small milling cutter marks that might disappear with browning. I polished my lock to 600grit. The wood just needs some light sanding.
The carving is almost too sharp. I'll let the sandpaper hit the sharp spots. A lot is just my preference.
The rifle could actually be shot as it comes. Just install the sights and bang away.

Jim Kibler does most of the sanding on the carved stocks. I used 320-grit folded sandpaper and a brush to clean the carvings and 320-grit sandpaper for the rest of the stock. It took less than an hour to get the stock ready for finishing. I hope to start with iron nitrate today.

Latest posts

Back