• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

eroded nipple effect on accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much does an eroded nipple affect accuracy?

I realize this topic has been completely around the block, but regarding the original query, the answer is yes and to a greater extent than one might think. A first clue is that when it erodes enough to cause hammer blowback, the blowback is inconsistent and of course so Is the pressure behind the bullet. The result is the same as if you arbitrarily changed the powder charge with each shot.

I shot Conicals in a .50 cal for a long time and discovered the problem very quickly. With that particular gun and load accuracy began to deteriorate with less than 30 shots. The long range muzzleloader afficionados deal with the problem by using platinum lined nipples.

A bullet that worked very well for me in a .45 was the Lee mold for the 255 grain .45 Long Colt. You would probably need to size it down a bit.

Gus, I have a beryllium-copper musket nipple on my Navy arms Buffalo Hunter and it seems to have worn very well. Have you had any experience with them?

If it is erosion causing some inaccuracy (and this can be a cause) then the classic answer is to have the nipples platinum lined or buy them platinum lined. Jeff Tanner can do this.

Lee 452-255-RF. I have that mold. I figured it would be too small since it is .452, and the one I am using is .456. Also the twist is probably only 1:48" I would think the shorter the conical the better.

Black Jaque said:
Platinum lined nipples? Yikes that's gotta cost a fair bit.

Has anyone tried ceramic lining?
Since a new nipple is just a few bucks and will last for quite a good number of shots, why not just buy a 3 pack and change them out? A new nipple costs less than half of a box of round balls...

Boy,that is a good question! I think it is true when I start to see called shots strike the target differently than were called for but have not actually run definitive tests to prove it.
When I start to see the caps blowing off I know it is past time to change the nipple.
It does seem to correlate to errant shots I can't explain though.

Griz44Mag said:
Black Jaque said:
Platinum lined nipples? Yikes that's gotta cost a fair bit.

Has anyone tried ceramic lining?
Since a new nipple is just a few bucks and will last for quite a good number of shots, why not just buy a 3 pack and change them out? A new nipple costs less than half of a box of round balls...

Yes. I consider nipples disposable items.

Griz44Mag said:
Since a new nipple is just a few bucks and will last for quite a good number of shots, why not just buy a 3 pack and change them out?
Depends to an extent on what you are shooting. Long range muzzle loading match rifles generally use platinum lined nipples. Shooting a typical load of a .45 cal 530-560 grain paper patched bullet, with 80-100 FFg, nipple erosion can be rapid. The issue is not so much hammer being blown back, as just lifted enough for some gas leakage. When you're shooting at 1000 yards you want to eliminate as many variables as you can. Changes in muzzle velocity due to gas leakage will affect elevation and hence accuracy (score).

David

Back