• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ERA Cumberland Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigman

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a ERA Cumberland Rifle that I picked up used.

I have been trying to do some research into the background of the rifle style.

Are there any online links to the history of the cumberland rifle?

What is it??? Never heard of it. I even tried to look it up. Have a picture of it?

I can take a guess at what it is, and I'd bet I'm right on the money, but I'll hold that for now.

No idea what your ERA stands for but Ric27 (Rick Lambert) recently listed a Cumberland Valley style longrifle up for sale.

He states it is derived from a style out of the Cumberland Valley of Tennessee and Kentucky.

Hope this is of some help to you Foster.

Pictures of your rifle would be of great interest to me as well.

Definitely pictures would help, and so would the complete writing on the barrel and lock.

The Cumberland Gap was the entrance into Kentucky from Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia, so a Cumberland style rifle is most likely a Southern Mtn style, but that would only be a guess.

Pictures and more description please. Does it appear to be a factory model or a custom rifle? I am assuming since you said used, you mean of recent manufacture, but you could mean 200 years old used. Which is it?

ETA: I found pictures of one at the Historical Trekking website. ERA stands for Early Rustic Arms. I can't post the link, but do a search for it.

Howdy! That was a good gun. I was sorry to part with it but needed the funding elsewhere. Early Rustic Arms was started by Larry Williams and passed on to his step-son, Terry, who built the gun in question. The patterns they came up with were not based on a single historic piece ”“ for example, one of the patterns was a Bucks County rifle ”“ not patterned after one particular Bucks County rifle, but generally following the architectural characteristics of rifles made around Bucks county during a general timeframe. The idea behind the “Cumberland” pattern was an early southern Mt. rifle, as I recall.

I have a EARLY RUSTIC ARMS colonial fowler very nice smooth bore, ordered it a few years back. The fowler was built by Terry Williams and the carving was done by MIKE MILLER. Very nice piece but there was problems with missed delivery dates. I knew going in it would be about 2 years which eventually dragged out to around 3 years. I would definitely buy another E.R.A. gun only if I came across one for sale by some one else. The customer service from the builder is very shabby.AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

Google Thomas Simpson Mansker Rifle and Jacob Young to see what a real Cumberland Rifle looks like.

Thanks for all the replies.

I love the rifle and it shoots better than I do.

I was just trying to figure out if the style would be appropriate for a rev war impression and it seems to be.

Thanks,
Mark Foster

Latest posts

Back