• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enough is Enough

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
life is not about waiting for the storm to pass ,but learning to dance in the rain.Welcome back, move in close to the fire,grab a cup,come early, stay late and enjoy.

My hiatus lasted for years. For the same reason. I have a low post count. Some think that indicates limited knowledge on my part, but I've been doing this since '76.
I have become more aggressive with some of my posts and have came close to calling a couple of people out. But sometimes I realize they just don't know any better.
It's true. This forum didn't use to be like this and it's no longer my favorite.
But I still check in every now and then.

Thank You Brother! :hatsoff:

You can't help the new Guys and Gals out if you ain't posting.

Without the "Newbies" the Tradition cannot continue.

Thank You for all you've done in support of this Forum , and Thank You for what you continue to do here.

Smo

As long as this was brought up yes there are a few on here that like to start things(arguments) for no apparent reason other than just to do it. Some people actually feed off that and enjoy it. I can be argumentive but find it hard to do in this type of situation where you aren't really talking fact to face and can see more than just words.

This is one of the better boards though because someone steps in when they see it getting out of hand. I've seen other BB sights and been member also and allot of them are way worse than here. I belong to a local gun sight where they love to start stuff and I quit going there because where little talk is about guns any more, they would rather just complain about the government and their conspiracy theories.

Cowboy you've been a great mentor to me, I cant tell you how many hours we talked when I first got started. At times it does get hard to deal with at times. try to overlook them and keep posting away

I put a guy in a lead box for years because I thought he was belittling my posts. I let him out of the box and and he appeared to do the same so I contacted him by PM.

Boy, was I ever wrong, he turned out to be a super nice guy whose sense of humor just came across poorly through this media.

There is a new guy who has something cutting and negative to say about a lot of peoples posts including mine. One more snide comment and he gets the BOX!

Perhaps when someone ends up in the lead box they should be given a notice that they were there and why. The boxer should remain anonymous from the boxie to avoid retaliation. If they knew they were rubbing a bunch of folk the wrong way they might change their ways.

Another thing; I don't know if it is just me but I find the search feature very hard to use. It doesn't focus on any one word or phrase for me and may give me 500 posts that have the word "and" in them. This is an exaggeration of course but the search feature is much too random.

For instance; I may search for "gun flints" and get thousands of posts with the word "gun" in them, even if I ask for the exact words.

Of course this could be operator error on my part.

Try adding "", + and - to the search terms - e.g. +"gun flint" or +"gun" +"flint" or +gun +flint. Sometimes, you can use - to exclude - e.g -and.

It seems we have lost another member. :(

Follow this link to see my response to our members actions in a topic some of you have seen, but many of you have not.

Read thru the topic above my comment and you should be able to figure out why I said what I did.
Zonies comment

I got to say I don’t understand the whole lead box thing, I’ve sure seen some comments that were not very nice, I may even have posted some. However I doubt if anyone ever tried being ugly. In a short post it just comes off that way.
There is a member who seems to take some opposite views on things then I do. And we have posted and conter posted on topices before, but he is the first guy I would ask advice from or point a newbie to as a resource. Electric campfires suffer when compared to the real thing.

As a new member, I am embarrassed to have my post follow Zonie. His post is correct, respectful, and reserved...
Cowboy, the post by Howie is a heartfelt truism, your willingness to share your knowledge with others has made you a mentor to more than you know.
Howie's post applies to every member of this forum, all have at one time been a mentor. If you choose to share your knowledge and experience on this forum, then you are a mentor to an vast audience you may never meet. One needs only to look at the post count and compare it to the number of views to gain a scope of your audience.
I have been reading this forum for a better part of a year. The knowledge and willingness to help those in need was an inspiration. The fellowship and friendliness is what convinced me to join the forum.
I will be around, God willing, for a while. It is my hope that all reading this will be also.
Sam A.

tenngun said:
I got to say I don’t understand the whole lead box thing, I’ve sure seen some comments that were not very nice, I may even have posted some. However I doubt if anyone ever tried being ugly. In a short post it just comes off that way.

Probably points to the way we run our lives. Day to day, I walk away from folks who are always negative. I just get tired of the dark cloud that hangs over their head and spills out their mouth, dragging me down every time I hear them. I figger it's their problem and I don't have to burden my life with their unhappiness.

The lead box lets me "walk away from" the same thing here.

I love this forumn its been very helpful to me in my journey back into traditional muzzleloading or should I say addiction. once you start buying one then you have 10 then you have to buy a new safe.

tenngun said:
Well it’s better to have you on the forum then not, as I enjoy what you have to say. If a lead box helps you stay on use it :v

Thanks. It's made for over 40 years of harmony living in a neighborhood with lots of contrary views. Ought to work just fine right here. And it has so far.

The forum has always been a pretty abrasive place, or at least has been for the last five years or so. I don't think that it is just a few posters - the really aggressive individuals tend to disappear after awhile, yet the overall tone remains the same, year after year. I don't know why it is, but it seems to be inherent in the forum culture.

I'm with you on this one. If somebody wants to ignore somebody more power to them and I'm glad there are the tools to do so.

Me personally, I don't ignore anybody. Most of the people here are super friendly, and even the rude ones still have a lot of knowledge and wisdom that I wouldn't pass up on no matter how grumpy they are. And even when you get somebody who knows nothing and is consistently rude they're still good for a chuckle.

Also, I'm not naming any names or pointing to a specific situation because I may have missed it entirely or it was already moderated on, or there was some other factors I'm not aware of, but I really don't see what's going on around here that's such a big deal?

This place is tame compared to the rest of the internet. Every forum or website I've ever been on regarding any subject has been an absolute bloodbath.

Also, Also, and possibly the most important point and likely the elephant in the room around here: this place is blessed with great moderators, and I'm sure the new admin is doing their best, but Claude was amazing at stepping in at just the right time and saying just the right thing to keep the peace. He was our Sheriff Andy. We need a Sheriff Andy.

:v

:thumbsup:
Maybe I believe too much in the milk of human kindness, but I don’t think any one wants to be rude on this forum.
I think of Jessica Rabbit ”˜ I’m not bad I’m just drawn that way’.

Eric:

My exact thoughts. I am a mod for a modern day firearm site and I do tell the person why I banned them and for how long. Some return after their time and others move along. Rarely do any get banned permanently.

Also, agree totally about the search feature here and even on the site I mod. I wanted to find some mixtures for patch lube here and used the search engine. Any post that had 'patch','lube', or both came up. Maybe ten or fifteen billion posts. He, he. So I will look a bit more before I ask because I know there are probably a hundred threads on the subject.

On the forum I mod, I won't tell a guy to run a search unless I run one first, and for the same reasons as I mentioned above. If my search comes up with a couple of clearly stated threads, then I tell them to run a search or link them.

None of the mods I work with are getting paid to moderate. Not sure if the mods here are getting paid but unlike Zonie -- I don't read every post. The regulars will write us if they see something that needs our attention too. It works out but I got to say that moderating is not always pleasant.

Scipio

Latest posts

Back