• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enhancing iron sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royalranger

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally got out last night to the range with my new to me T/C Renegade .54. I put 11 shots in a 6 inch square at 50 yards. The day before I put a dab of white paint on the front site to help me see it. I preped the surface with alcohol before painting. It worked great at the range but came off while cleaning it. Any ideas on a better way to make this permanent? Some paints better for this than others? Thank you in advance. Ron.

I've used a dab of model/hobby paint and it seems to hold up pretty good. I've had to touch it up only a few times in many years. My choice of color is orange, as I had a bad time seeing the white sight against snow and fog when hunting.

I use a black sharpie marker for daylite and a silver one for shaded areas. regardless, it always seems to get rubbed at some point.

I inset a small piece if brass into the front sight. A small shelf was cut with a file and a piece of brass sheet soldered into it. I then shaped the brass to the contours of the bead (blade if you got one). Gives me great visibility in regular and low-light conditions. Took about 15 minutes to do.....

I've started carrying one of those little tiny jugs of White Out. On the rare occasion when I need to lighten the front sight, such as at first light on hunts, it goes on easy and comes off easy with a thumbnail a half hour later. Just as easy to put it on before shooting at the range.

Paper-Mate liquid paper "white-out" for me too. It works great and holds up well. I have a small vial of that in my range equipment box for touch up appliations.

Acorse ye folks reelize that wit that white frunt site it arr gonna bee hard ta C whan yer a shootin at that darn white Buffeler don ye?

No wondars he arr suppost ta bee unkilible. :grin:

If you can run accross Glenn McClane from Indiana,
he makes traditional sights with an ivory strip dead center of the sight. Most of the traditional
shoots I go to would stone you if you went to the firing line with bright modern paint on your 18th century rifle. Some of us primates carry a small piece of charcoal and chalk in their shooting pouch. This is a primitive way to solve this problem without getting rocks bounced off your head. :thumbsup:

Don't you recall that historic declaration, "don't shoot until you see the white of your sights". :v

And it dont hurt to run a white line or just take a knife and cut a line down your center of your rear sight. Fred :hatsoff:

A post a while back suggested filing the back of the bead/blade TC front sight at a 45 degree angle. The exposed metal is white, and the angle picks up more sunlight. I tried it on my TC Hawken & it worked well.

bramble

I have the White bead hunting sights from Lyman on both my rifles and like them the best of any sight I have used.

bramble said:
A post a while back suggested filing the back of the bead/blade TC front sight at a 45 degree angle. The exposed metal is white, and the angle picks up more sunlight. I tried it on my TC Hawken & it worked well.

bramble

The problem with that sight is it tends to shoot away from the light. Remember move the front sight away from the direction you want the ball to go? The sourdough, a sight without a bead, can be angled like that and avoids the dendency. A thin groove with white paint tells you where the sight is when the light is dim.

Back