• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old eyes and iron sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Front sight press.

Unless you are shooting flying. At that point sights are a malevolent distraction. As a child did you never squirt another kid with the garden hose? Did you need a sight?

LOL I could always hurl a dirt clod and pop you in the head as good as anybody. But, the idea of just slinging lead downrange, in the general direction of what you are shooting at, does not appeal to me. "Only accurate rifles are interesting." (COL Townsend Whelen).

LOL I could always hurl a dirt clod and pop you in the head as good as anybody. But, the idea of just slinging lead downrange, in the general direction of what you are shooting at, does not appeal to me. "Only accurate rifles are interesting." (COL Townsend Whelen).
Note my first sentence. "Front sight. Press." That is aiming, not just flinging. Flying birds with shotguns are different. You want to bring about the intersection of a column of shot with a rapidly moving target. Your success rate aiming with that little round bead will be miserable.

Note my first sentence. "Front sight. Press." That is aiming, not just flinging. Flying birds with shotguns are different. You want to bring about the intersection of a column of shot with a rapidly moving target. Your success rate aiming with that little round bead will be miserable.
This combination of ghost ring rear and firesight front illustrates that point of front sight, press. I can use it accurately out to 125 yards, the max distance my bullet/gun combo works effectively.

wlm4.jpg

This combination of ghost ring rear and firesight front illustrates that point of front sight, press. I can use it accurately out to 125 yards, the max distance my bullet/gun combo works effectively.

You must be a mind reader. I just bought a set of those. Only problem is the rear sight base is for a 15/16" barrel and the rifle I want to use it on is 7/8":
IMG_17.jpg

I'll have to sort that out (shims, machining, etc)

Try overlaying the barrel with saran wrap, lightly fill the underside of the sight with JB weld after filling the screw holes with putty. Place firmly on barrel and hold in place with rubber bands. Allow to set, clean it up and you have a perfect fit. I recommended those way early in this thread.

Also I am not using the peep, rather the ghost ring instead...fits the same base

1696603801804.png

If you have a 1" ATF, place sandpaper on the barrel and sand the sight down to fit the 1" Takes about 15 minutes and a beer.

Regarding the front bead, I think it is advantageous For shooting flying. One must avoid looking directly at it and concentrate totally on the target. I have never observed a target shooter remove the bead Or a serious bird shooter remove the bead.

When we were kids it was very common to throw dirt clogs at one another - one such day someone threw one at a kid and put his eye out - very sad day indeed:eek:. I will never forget that day.

They make iron ghost ring sights to replace a conventional rear sight. In some matches it would not be considered an open iron sight nor a buckhorn sight with the horns touching. If you take a saw and file to make a slit would this be an "open" iron sight? Chorizo's system is just the ticket for a hunting rifle. More and more of the shooters are using high viz sights on their rifles in open or handicap matches, especially with seniors.

Back