• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English shot flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there some way to adjust the head. My problem is the metal gate(?) closest to the bag blocks the spout by about two thirds, so even when I shake the bag, I am getting a small amount of shot in the spout. I have seen pictures on the net where this gate is just barely covering the back of the spout. when I push the lever, it blocks the back of the spout, as it should. Would really like to use this in the field.

snubnose57 said:
Is there some way to adjust the head. My problem is the metal gate(?) closest to the bag blocks the spout by about two thirds, so even when I shake the bag, I am getting a small amount of shot in the spout. I have seen pictures on the net where this gate is just barely covering the back of the spout. when I push the lever, it blocks the back of the spout, as it should. Would really like to use this in the field.
I do not understand what you mean for what you have described you are talking about a powder flask and not a shot flask .Image would help
Feltwad

I think I'm following you, and there's an easy fix, though short term. If I'm right the spring is weak or poorly configured. Two that I've bought suffered the same malady, resulting is shot dribbles with all but the largest shot.

My short term fix was easy and has turned into the long term solution. I just wedged a small piece of leather under one leg of the spring to help close the gap by repositioning the spring. Done. I never availed myself because I was happy with my leather fix, but at one time I noted that Dixie sold replacement springs for English shot spouts.

You might try the leather fix to evaluate your own problem. If that works and you don't like the leather, check in with Dixie. I have no idea if their spring will be better, but if so that's another option.

Is this what you talking about if so it is a powder flask and not a shot flask
Feltwad

Shot Flask

snubnose57 said:
It is a leather shot flask, like the bottom picture, with the same English head.
I think I get what you mean when the spout is full and you press the lever down to release the shot in the sleeve the rear does not close properly allowing more shot to fall . I have come across this before and too rectify this remove the screw from the rear shutter and turn it around so it falls straight down through the slot and does bind on the slot .
Feltwad

I switched both gates and noticed they were both the same height. Wish I knew how to post pictures.
With the head at rest, the gate that lets the shot enter the tube blocks the tube over half way, so the tube will not fill itself by gravity. So when I press the lever, the gate bottoms out prematurely, so the gate that lets the shot out does not fully open.
Looks like I need to take the entry(1st) gate out and dremmel some of the height off it, thus opening the entry of shot into the tube.
I thought maybe there was a way for adjustment on the head, but I believe the height of the 1st gate is the issue.

snubnose57 said:
gate that lets the shot enter the tube blocks the tube over half way,,
,,the gate that lets the shot out does not fully open.
If that's the case then somebody has messed with it before you got it.
All that you described is not the typical function.

Bottom line is they don't just function like a simple push button/flip gate Lee or MEC shot loader.
If you have to shake it to get the shot measured, hold your finger over the top or shake it some more to get the shot loose to drop, then that's what it takes.
I hope your not really considering that (even if it works right) the measure gives you exactly the charge you need for the best group for your powder charge/wad setting/shot weight combination?

Yes, bought it used. With the spout blocked by the 1st gate halfway, even shaking it will not fill the measuring tube with hardly any shot at all.
I thought cutting a little off the 1st. gate would allow the proper amount of shot to enter the tube.
I was not going to alter the tube at all.

There are two gates in the English Shot Flask dispenser.

39449808942_c4486ae167_z.jpg

The gate nearest the flask is held open by the spring and allows shot to flow to be stopped by the gate at the open end. You can see shot in the picture.

39449809492_1016b19609_z.jpg

The gate in the front fills the tube and holds the shot in place. The end of the flask is inserted in the muzzle of the shotgun or fowler. The lever is pressed and the leaf gate cuts off the flow of shot in the tube. Releasing the lever closes the front gate and opens the rear cut off gate allowing another measure of shot to enter the tube.

39480076611_4c37bc8a05_z.jpg

The leaf shape of the cut off gate helps the gate to move through the shot and effectively cut off the flow of shot into the gun.

My measure has three settings although the third setting looks a bit off. I really ought to weigh the shot as there are no markings on the measure.

Does your English Flask have the same measuring configuration as mine? Don't go cutting on the gates just yet. I would hope for some pictures.

Grenadier1758 said:
There are two gates in the English Shot Flask dispenser.

39449808942_c4486ae167_z.jpg

The gate nearest the flask is held open by the spring and allows shot to flow to be stopped by the gate at the open end. You can see shot in the picture.

39449809492_1016b19609_z.jpg

The gate in the front fills the tube and holds the shot in place. The end of the flask is inserted in the muzzle of the shotgun or fowler. The lever is pressed and the leaf gate cuts off the flow of shot in the tube. Releasing the lever closes the front gate and opens the rear cut off gate allowing another measure of shot to enter the tube.

39480076611_4c37bc8a05_z.jpg

The leaf shape of the cut off gate helps the gate to move through the shot and effectively cut off the flow of shot into the gun.

My measure has three settings although the third setting looks a bit off. I really ought to weigh the shot as there are no markings on the measure.

Does your English Flask have the same measuring configuration as mine? Don't go cutting on the gates just yet. I would hope for some pictures.
Your English shot flask began has a two setting which would have been 1.1/4 and 1.1/2 or 1oz and 1/1/4 . The third setting has been has been specially cut to suit a small load by some one and was never made that way .Shot flasks were made with three settings I have several in my collection .
Feltwad

A photo sure would help ... out of curiosity, I picked up several of my shot pouches that have literally been gathering dust in my gun room for many years. My pouch that is stamped by the American Flask and Cap company on the spout is a virtual knock-off of Feltwad's Dixon pouch. If the gates are correct, the only way I can see the gates NOT working correctly is if the pivot arm is either incorrect or bent. Interestingly, I just went back and re-read Ray Riling's tome "The Powder Flask Book" and noted that "Rings on shot pouches for carrying are nearly always found at the base of the body and , as in flasks, indicate a nozzle-down position in carrying ... since the weight of the shot would tend to burst the joining seams ... if carried nozzle-up."

I had to dremel the gate closest to the flask. When at rest, it was 2/3rds blocking the spout. Now it works fine. Not sure if it was a factory defect, looks almost new and unaltered to me.

Latest posts

Back