• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

End of garden time favorite feast!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, maybe not THE ONLY favorite, but close!

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES!..... Slice 'um, a little egg batter and bread crumbs. Put 'um in a hot skillet with a bit of oil or bacon fat and turn'um to a golden brown!......whuuuweeee! Dem are goooood!

Thanks for the reminder. It wasn't a good year for our tomatoes but we have some green ones picked a bit early before the critters sampled them. Think I'll make some for our breakfast tomorrow: bacon, eggs, fried green tomatoes, lots of fresh brewed coffee. (Looks at watch, counts hours until breakfast.)

Jeff

Oh you betcha, but down here it's more likely to be corn meal or fried chicken batter. :wink: :haha:

My dad grew up in Wisconsin and his were in a flour milk and egg batter. I grew up in New Mexico and corn meal was preferred, now in the ozarks in this era any thing goes, it all be good.

My mom did the same with slicing and frying eggplant. My dad's mom had to explain to her about green tomatoes! :wink: Should note she was a St. Louis German girl too! She learned some good ones though and every year for the Sunday School picnic she got elected to bring the potato salad. She'd never heard of mashed potato with mustard till she got drug to Texas, but she did a good one! :rotf:

Autumn Stew. Brown a pound of loose sausage in a saucepan and add diced onion, summer squash, tomatoes and other veggies from the garden that you are trying to use up. Add a little water and simmer till the veggies are tender. It got to be a favorite on those first cool September evenings.

It's 60s here in the ozarks tonight, last three years summers have been pretty mild, and these last weeks of summer promise cool nights... looking forward to a cooler event at ft Osage in a couple of weeks.

The fried green tomatoes were a breakfast hit. I used our own sourdough bread crumbs, ground fine, which worked great. Again, thanks for the reminder about them.

The weather has actually been lovely the last week: cool nights and comfortable days. Puts me in the mood to bake bread, start the home made sauerkraut, and make a batch of the cook-all-night baked beans (no tomato) we discussed some months ago. Yeah, I like cool weather.

Jeff

My mom, although she was a true southerner from TN, did not care for fried green tomatoes. Instead, she would make a huge batch of chow-chow, and canned several quarts of it every year at first sign of a frost to use as a relish for roast beef. My MIL, from TX was the same way; chow-chow, not fried green tomatoes. I've tried the fried green tomatoes, and they are okay, but my wife won't eat them or chow-chow. It's just as well since our tomato plants haven't done all that well. I do miss the chow-chow.

Satx at dusk this evening it was already in the low 60's and we are due to bottom in the mid 40's here to morrow morning. Many years we have a frost before the last of September, although normally the first is around October 10. We have hit that weird time of year that a sweater or jacket is needed in the morning and days climb into the 70's.

YEP. I've heard of it & even had a slice at a café in Charleston, SC but have never made any.
(Green tomato pie was one of the numerous "cheap to make" recipes from The Great Depression of the 1930s & became even more popular during WWII.)
1000toprecipes.com has recipes for green tomato pie. - I'm sure that there are lots of recipes on the Worldwideweird.

yours, satx

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back