• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk hides?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVanVorous

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Given my apparent lack of expertise/ability to down the "ghost of the woods" (AKA wapiti) anybody happen to know a sutler that sells elk hides that arent dyed yellow-orange. Have a desire to build a rifle case for a new toy and dont want to use rawhide or buckskin and really DONT want yellow-orange hides.

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

I bleach the yellow color out with a water/bleach mixture (laundry bleach). Rinse well with water, dry and then rub between hands to soften them. This worked on the elk hide I used for my winter moccasins. The hide ended up a light smoke color. You may need to repeat the soak in water/bleach a couple of times.

I would test a small piece of your particular hide first to make sure all will be well.

www.hideandfur.com carries chrome tanned elk and deer in several non-orange/yellow colors including a light smoke.

IMO even better is the German Tanned (aka imitation brain tan) available from Fox Valley Leather or Crazy Crow - it is from red deer which is the European equivalent of our elk (their elk/elg is what we call moose)

With any commercial hides it is best to pre-stretch....hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Moch obliged fer the responses. We'll check out both the ideas and the links posted.

By my figgerin' I should be able to get both a new cover and the uppers fer a new set of 2 pc mocs out of 1 hide.Somthin' Ive been meaning to do fer a spell as the old moc soles are a tad perforated from use... :grin:

Keep yer powder dry,

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back