• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ebay Doglock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirish28

32 Cal.
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=72043&item=2261591676&rd=1

There is an interesting musket on ebay, looks like it has a dog lock on it, any ideas on what it may be ?
27_3.JPG

Regards,

Paul

Looks like a Swedish percussion musket I saw up for sale, an earlier version perhaps? Even has the backward tang bolt. Let me put two pictures together.
dogmusk.jpg

Not only the upsidown tang screw, but the trigger guard is almost identical as well. I do believe that's the first 'safety' catch of that sort I've seen on a cap gun, though. I don't believe that percussion lock is without 1/2 cock notch as it appears to sport a tumbler bridle. That, in itself, not being sufficient to gurantee the notch, the modern generaly appearance surely suggests it and the 'dog' is merely an extra safety. The wood on the perc. gun is quite nice, what can be seen, that is, and even the flint gun looks to sport reasonable wood for it's age.

Many a flinters were converted to percussion, sometimes unused hardware was not removed...

This was the case with a 1838 musket of mine that was converted to percussion in 1849, it still had the frizzen spring on it...

However, the e-bay doglock is a flintlock with the hammer and frizzen removed...

Cain't be a percussion lock. It's got a frizzen spring on it, or it looks to be so.

:rolleyes: But isn't there enough similarity of style to suggest the same origin :rolleyes:

The question was, "any ideas on what it may be ?"

This is like wading through treacle :: ::

Oviously, no one so far has seen one the same, however, they were probably made in the same area as - notice the
trigger guard is almost identical as well
statement I made above - and, virtually identical they are.

dogmusk.jpg

The lock shape itself has strong English features, the picture above is and English doglock 1640-1690 era style...

They both have the banana shaped lockplate and the boxed priming pan...

7c_12_s.JPG

c7_0.JPG

e3_0.JPG

The condition is not particulary good and will probabily not fire again. Some parts are missing such as the trigger and hammer with damage to the wood stock at various places and a split barrel at the business end.

Probably not fire again? Ya think?

Interesting use of round head screws for buttplate and sidelock. That's the trouble with something totally unfamiliar. Could be from 1728 . . . could be 1828 . . . could be 1928 . . . could be 1978???

That pan looks almost like 1730's Dutch, the side plate looks like 1930's. This one whacky gun ::

pan.jpg

Squire Robin,

First, the avatar picture cracks me up. It's so very ugly, it has to be you.
Second, I too think this is a very wacky gun, very confusing, and
Lastly, should I try to find a box to put it in?
Me->
ac22.gif
<-You

Chuck

Hi Chuck

That was me back in '56. Ugly? Might explain why I had to wear that paper bag with the eye-holes cut in it, always wondered about that.

I just put down a holding deposit on an old gun with a busted stock, so my shopping abilities will be severely restricted for the next few months.

But don't let me stop you buying it ::

best regards

Squire Hewitt
GHH

c7_0.JPG

I think the sideplate dates from 1908 to perhaps 1920. After that, the Cubist movement had fallen out of favor amoung the Eurpoean art community. That's one totally block serpent, man.

ugly_baby.jpg

As long as you didn't make '"The Big Book of British Smiles" after you've grown older (ain't none of us grown up)

Where the heck did you find that old photo of Slowpoke? I thought his parents burnt the last of them back in '69 :blah: ::

Latest posts

Back