• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'English Lock' fishtail musket on Gun Broker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Note to find it, search for 'dog lock musket' as the Seller has no idea that it is not a doglock. And yes ... I tried to tell them. This one looks like it would go cheap. New they run $600 shipped from Military Heritage, so be aware of that if bidding and factor in the $85 they're asking for shipping.

English locks had the horizontal sear bar that projects through the lockplate, as carried forward from snaphaunces, whereas doglocks switched to the vertical sear bars
FTail.jpg
akin to flintlocks.

Ide say 'Dogs' be they hook like or sprag like can be fixed to any sort of lock of any date . The only true 'Dog lock' is the lock that has no half cock or safety other than the Dog .I've made and used them with every success . Some deride the old hammer shotguns thinking them unsafe ( There even not allowed to be imported to NZ or where. )But modern hammerless guns are carried on full cock soon as their loaded with only a pushed slideing button which can't be seen as their safety . Sort of blind faith However this irony is going a bit off post .
Regards Rudyard

Back