• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Easy gunsmith jobs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Since we all weren’t born Mike Brooks, I was thinking it might be a good idea if everyone could post some easy to moderate gunsmith jobs that can be accomplished with just common tools. It’s kinda good feeling to have done some of the work on your own rifle, or pistol. Although I have worked tool and die for 40 years, I cut my first dovetail by hand last week. The gunsmith closest to me charges $35 bucks to do it, so that money can go into the shooting till. Here is what I used and the completed job.

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

The caliper isn’t necessary but nice. Because you need to make sure you are smaller than the base of the sight. Than you can just sneak up on the correct size with your 3-corner file. Mark where you want it with the scribe and square. Hog out as much as you can with the hacksaw. File the rest. Check and recheck fit.

gunsmith jobs that can be accomplished with just common tools.
That's all I have, "common tools". The only fancy stuff I have is a 1920's era bench top drill press and a bandsaw...everything else is common hand tools.

That's about all I use (not quite to Mike's level), but I have a 40+ year old Rockwell bandsaw that I wouldn't trade for nuttin'. I do all barrel and lock inleting the 'old' way with chisels..it's slow, but I do it for the pleasure. If I had to do it for a living like Mike, I'd starve to death (homeless too!!!).

You may only have hand tools and there is not a lot I am sure of but Mike Brooks does not have "common" hands!

Here is another easy tip. You can modify your front sight with only a ball peen hammer a brass drift and a file or grinding wheel. Some cold blue to touch up finishes the job. Remember if you use a grinding wheel have some water handy to keep the sight from over heating.

IMG_2014.jpg

This matches the rear sight better.

IMG_2015.jpg

Install a patch box? This is not easy! But I am posting it anyway because I thought it was going to be easier than it was. This is the third try but I finally got it and I am confident enough to try it on another gun I am making.

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

Here is a TC, that I put a Green Mountain barrel in. It is 50 cal and 32” long with 1 in 70 twist.
It is not a complete drop in but almost.

IMG_2023.jpg

not so easy I did 2 dovetails today both turned out to big now I need to get bigger sight bases

I got tired messing with the lock plate screw brass washer so I made this side plate.

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

I alredy know it ain’t traditional but I like it.

Unless the dovetail groove is way to big you might try to snug it with some brass shim stock. cut the right size and it won't show unless you look for it. must Ace hardware stores have it in several thickneses
I've also seen the edges of the slot evenly peened downward to tighten.
Jon D

Hey Ebiggs, There ain't nuttin wrong with that sideplate. I think it fits the rifle it's on just fine.
Jon D

It is your gun, if you like that is all that matters! :hmm: But if you don't like it I could recycle it for you! :idunno:

ebiggs said:
I got tired messing with the lock plate screw brass washer so I made this side plate.

I alredy know it ain’t traditional but I like it.
And that's all that matters.
If what you post passes the MLF Owner / Administrator's guidelines to post here, unless you specifically ask for opinions on whether or not something is "traditional", anybody who would take issue with it would just be trying to show off...

Nice job on the side plate...

I redesigned my side plate just a bit. It fits more of the contour of the stock now.

IMG_2030-1.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

Also polished out more of the scratches in the piece of brass.

This is my first attempt at making a nose cap. Here is how I did it.

The tools I used. You actually don’t need a cutting torch but that tip was already on and I didn’t change it, I just needed a little fire!

IMG_2059.jpg

Cut the piece of brass and fit it around your stock. A piece of scrap used here.

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

When you are satisfied with fit, flux and solder it.

\
IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

Cut and file away everything that doesn’t look like a nose cap. Hit the buffing wheel with it and it is shinny!

IMG_2056.jpg

Now just slide it on.

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

This was my first one and it is pretty easy. Almost looks like it belongs there. You need to know how to solder but give it a try.

Yeah, I was thinking I could just shoot a hole in the front of it. Hey, would line up good!

Installing a toe plate. This is easy.
You need a piece of brass, I got mine form the hardware store for $4.00 and it will make two more. You need a drill and a file and a hacksaw.
Plus I used a 3/4" Stanley chisel to remove enough stock to let it lay flat and even.

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

Latest posts

Back