• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early wheellock conversion rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commodore Swab

Blunderbuss Builder
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Starting work on a new piece.
1120814_orig.jpg

This looks like a really neat, unique project. Are these Rifle Shoppe castings, or something you did yourself? I love this oddball stuff.

Yes, they are Rifle Shoppe castings. It is not a modified flintlock to look like an earlier lock but a copy of an earlier wheellock that was converted.

I have to say that I admire your willingness to be
different....

This looks to be an interesting piece. It will certainly be unusual and different. There's nothing wrong with different in my view. How long and bore size is the barrel? What triggers & fittings are you using? Brass or steel?

One of the first gunsmiths to have worked in Williamsburg, VA was John Brush. Brush came to Williamsburg in 1717 and died in 1726. He is known to have converted matchlocks to flintlock. Your gun goes back even earlier than that.

Since it appears you are stocking it in Curly Maple, and thus in the period it would have been an American re-stock, what time period would this have been done?

Very interesting and looking forward to more pictures as the build progresses.

Gus

Since you mentioned TRS as the source for the lock, by chance when did you place the order for the lock? Not everyone is as young or brave as you are to order from them.

Im going to use steel instead of brass, the idea behind this rifle is that it is one that was rebuilt in the new world in order to avoid taxes and it was what was available. The barrel is 62 cal. and 28" long so a shorter carbine.

As far as TRS goes, I have good luck dealing with them. This was part of an order including a doglock, snaphaunce kit (minus barrel), French carbine complete kit, lock and hardware for a French fowler (scroll down to the French fowler) http://www.swabsarmory.com/current-projects.html

This was ordered late April or early May, I don't recall. Yes, this year. Now before you go all "WOW" there are some parts that have not been shipped and I do have several items back ordered and some I have been waiting a good time for.

As far as ordering from them I'm estimating I've received at least 1-2 dozen locks from them

Last edited by a moderator:
Back