• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Shooting Sticks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPS

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Getting interested in early shooting sticks their history and what they may look like. Would appreciate any pointers to possible pictures and/or documents.

Thanks

I don't have any pictures but the early "sticks" I am aware of are the simple "cross sticks" and a single stick with a fork to hold the rifle. :idunno:

And if the rifle configuration is suitable, a stick to grip and support with the hand the rifle barrel at the elevation needed.
Folks did what worked.

You might also look into the cross sticks buffalo hunters used. It's my understanding they had/used cross sticks with a type of leather cradle to hold their rifle in. Your research may lead you to earlier style/types of cross sticks.

Thanks very much for your input gents.

Interesting coincidence as this morning I received a flyer for an up coming event at one of the clubs we attend for ML shoots. The event is called a "Hunters Match" with monopod type shooting sticks allowed. After reading the rules on the shooting stick I assume the stick may have a V-yoke to support the ML. I'll try to verify this with the powers that be. The shooting stick rules read as follows if any of you maybe interested.

"A legal shooting stick is defined as having a single point of contact with the ground. The contact point must be blunt and no larger than 1 ¼” in diameter. The contact end of the stick must rest on the surface of the ground and may not be pushed or driven into the ground. The shooting stick may not be attached to the firearm in any way."

Lewis of Lewis and Clark fame carried a spontoon that he used as a "shooting stick".

Splinters said:
Getting interested in early shooting sticks their history and what they may look like. Would appreciate any pointers to possible pictures and/or documents.

Thanks
The Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody Wyoming has many old examples of shooting sticks. I've seen many old pictures of Buffalo Hunters using them as well. The Whitney Art Gallery in the Buffalo Bill Museum also has original paintings of shooter's using them back in the day.

I myself use them extensively. Always had problems shooting off hand due to my disabilities. I find them to be a big help in my situation. Bad side is, I've grown to depend on them way to much!

Jethro was down to shoot with me a week or so ago and we worked on my off hand shooting and my stance. Can't say I'm very accurate shooting off hand but am a work in progress. :grin:

Here is a set of sticks that I made about 8 or 9 years ago. Have used them extensively. About every time I shoot!

Here is a set that I had just built last winter.

Thanks very much Cowboy for the reply and posting the photos. Like the work you did on the early stick you built. Also like your latest one.
I may have to try my had at that too. I'll bet those are authentic looking replicas.

Have found so many things of interest since I got started with ML back in 2014. Have met some nice folks and have had a great deal of fun at events.

Thanks again for taking the time.

BTW, I understand about the off-hand shooting too, but we keep trying. Sometimes I feel like I'm :dead: ..... LOL

"The legal shooting stick" sounds just like mine of something like 45 years use. Made from a limb of a south west VA wild cherry tree. With a fork at the top and used as a walking stick as well as for shooting. Seated with elbows on knees and stick bottom anchored at right foot instep with rifle in fork almost like shooting off a bench.

I forgot to mention, I think a lot of mountain men carried a stick in the bore of their rifles. This stick protruded about 4" out of the end. This stick was then used with the ramrod and I believe they were just held together by the shooter's hand.

You all have me beginning to itch to try a shooting stick. May get a ready made while I begin a search for some wood to make my own.

crockett said:
I forgot to mention, I think a lot of mountain men carried a stick in the bore of their rifles. This stick protruded about 4" out of the end. This stick was then used with the ramrod and I believe they were just held together by the shooter's hand.
I've done that a time or two by way of experimentation. Not the most steady in the world, but it's useful.

Splinters said:
Thanks very much for your input gents.

Interesting coincidence as this morning I received a flyer for an up coming event at one of the clubs we attend for ML shoots. The event is called a "Hunters Match" with monopod type shooting sticks allowed. After reading the rules on the shooting stick I assume the stick may have a V-yoke to support the ML. I'll try to verify this with the powers that be. The shooting stick rules read as follows if any of you maybe interested.

"A legal shooting stick is defined as having a single point of contact with the ground. The contact point must be blunt and no larger than 1 ¼” in diameter. The contact end of the stick must rest on the surface of the ground and may not be pushed or driven into the ground. The shooting stick may not be attached to the firearm in any way."
Interesting. I wonder how many MM aimed on a buff, only to be stopped by a companion. "Wait Wait" he cried. "You cant take the shot, your shooting sticks are sharp and too big around"
"OMG" the shooter said. "I will just use my hawk to trim it down, and dull it"
'Nooooo! you cant use that hawk, the edge is over four inchs" :rotf:

Splinters said:
The shooting stick may not be attached to the firearm in any way."
:doh:

Well then you are hooped and just carrying kindling around cuz the rule dont allow you to use your hand to attach your rifle to the shooting stick.

I'll bet you are either a lawyer or an engineer. both of those professions are given to the splitting of hairs to the point of reductio ad absurdum. But, truth be told, there are times when we need people who know how to split a frog hair four ways. :haha:

Billnpatti said:
I'll bet you are either a lawyer or an engineer. both of those professions are given to the splitting of hairs to the point of reductio ad absurdum. But, truth be told, there are times when we need people who know how to split a frog hair four ways. :haha:

Naw! Needer. Just learned to read correctly cuz it caused me grief before to many times... :blah:

Latest posts

Back