• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

early gun management

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
In researching various aspects of history related to our hobby I’m often surprised to find that many of the things we discuss today are very old topics. The question of whether black powder continues to burn for the full length of the barrel, for instance, or the best method for figuring the proper powder charge for any gun. The proper ratio of powder to shot in smoothbore loads, the best wads, the effect of spin on a ball, the best length for a barrel, and why, all have been considered and written about for hundreds of years.

It is also true that many of the practices concerned with managing the guns have come down to us from very early on, and what was good then is still considered good today. I found the advice to gunners written by Francis Grose in _Military Antiquities: Respecting a History of the English Army, from the conquest to the present time_, Volume 2, in 1619, to be very interesting. It sounds surprisingly modern, even though he is writing about matchlocks.

When first learning to shoot, practice with only prime in the pan”¦
“... and being ignorant, to the intent he may be more encouraged, let him acquaint himself first with the firing of touch-powder in his panne, and so by degrees both to shoote off, to bow and beare up his body, and so consequently to attain to the levell and practice of an assured and serviceable shot,

Have a flask for main powder and a smaller one for prime, keep bullets in a pouch or in your mouth during action”¦
“His flask and touch box must hold his powder, his purse and mouth his bullets;”

Make certain the pan is clean, the touch-hole open and well pricked”¦
““”¦.let him first load his peece with powder out of his flaske, then with her bullet, and last with amuring or touch-powder, foreseeing ever that the panne bee cleane, the cover close, and the tutch-hole wide, or else well proind:”

With a spring operated measure on the flask, make certain it drops exactly the proper charge for your gun”¦.
“”¦. the charge of his flaske just for his peece, and the spring quick and sharpe :”

Make sure the spout of your priming flask is wide enough not to clog”¦
“... the pipe of his touch-box somewhat wide, that the powder may have free passage, which otherwise would choak up. ”

Keep your powder dry, put your gun under your arm or coat, etc”¦.
“”¦. and in wet weather have a case for his peece, somewhat portable, or else of necessitie he must keepe the same from wet under his arm-hole or cassocke, or by some other invention free from damage of the weather,”¦”

Keep your gun clean and the mechanism well oiled”¦
“it is moreover requisite, that a souldier keepe his cocke with oyle free in falling, and his peece bright without rusting;”¦”

Have the proper tools, with sockets for attaching to the ramrod”¦
“”¦. neither must he want his necessarie tooles, as a scowrer, tirebale and worme, having every one a vice to turne into the end of the scouring sticke, so that if through wet weather, or any other accident, his peece will not be discharged, the skilful souldier may with his tireball pull out his bullet with the worme, the paper, and wet powder, and with his scourer make his peece clean within. His scourer must be trimmed on the end with a linen cloth of sufficient substance, therewith to make cleane the cannon of his peece within.”

Have a big end on your ramrod”¦
“The one end of his scouring stick ought to have a round end of bone of just bigness with the mouth of his peece, therewithall at his pleasure, to ramme in powder and paper”¦”

Have vent picks attached to your straps so you can keep the touchhole clean and ensure that both prime and main powder ignite at once”¦.
“”¦.let a souldier have hanging ever at the string of his tutch box, or some other readie part of his garment, a couple of proyning pinnes at the least, that if by fortune the tutch hole of his peece be stopped or furred up, hee may therewith both make his pan cleane, and yeeld a ready passage, that the fire may have her course, by incorporating both the tutch-pouder without and the corn-pouder within together.”

So, 400 years ago matchlock shooters had already worked out a great number of the things we tend to lay claim to as modern ideas. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I’m sure you noticed that he speaks of a main powder flask and a priming powder flask, and of corn-pouder and tutch-pouder as two separate things.

Here’s the kind of soldier he was talking about, a sketch by Lemoyne, 1564, with his flask and tutch-box.

Spence

P.S. Safety was also a consideration, especially that burning match.
“Secondly, the match is very dangerous, either where bandeleers are used, or where soldiers run hastily in fight to the budge-barrel, to refill their bandeleers ; I have often seen sad instances thereof.”

If I had to guess, they were pouring right from the flask into the bore.... Without the benefit of a measure. Maybe reading too much into the drawing, but I sure don't see anything I'd call a measure.

BrownBear said:
If I had to guess, they were pouring right from the flask into the bore.... Without the benefit of a measure. Maybe reading too much into the drawing, but I sure don't see anything I'd call a measure.
I may have sewn a little confusing with that drawing. It wasn't with the article I quoted. The quotation was from England, 1619, the drawing from Florida, 1564, French. Both are describing soldiers shooting matchlocks, and both have two flasks, that's why I posted them together.

I agree, from the description by Grose it seems the flask he spoke of was fitted with a spring-loaded gate, and I would guess it was similar to the ones we are familiar with, today. Put your finger over the spout pointed downward, open the valve, close the valve and dump the powder into the bore. When he said the charge of his flask just for his peece, he wasn't saying only for his piece, but the proper...just... amount, related to justice. They talked funny in those days. :grin:

Maybe his comment about the spring being "quick and sharp" was so it would be "fireproof" in case of a flash-off when the powder was dumped.

Spence

Thanks for the clarification (and reminder). I read the text shortly after you posted, but kept looking at the pic and not rereading the text. So if there's guilt for sowing confusion, it's at this end of the wire! :grin:

The drawing is from Guns on the Early Frontier by Carl Russell. I should have attributed that in the original post.

Spence

Interesting reading partner. It seems as though we are guilty of trying to reinvent the wheel from time to time in these modern days. :hmm:

Thanks for sharing this with us, Skychief :thumbsup:

Skychief: Back in the 1950's and 60' when they were rediscovering muzzleloading at Friendship, all they had to go on was oldtimers memories and a few books that happened to be laying around.

We all tend to forget how much the Internet has eased searching for esoteric information.

Odds are that Spence does not have the quoted book in his physical possession. I know I am deeply grateful for all the people out there who are scouring digital libraries for scraps of information. I'm also deeply grateful for all the librarians who are digitizing their rare book collections.

Many Klatch said:
Odds are that Spence does not have the quoted book in his physical possession.
That's true. I've always been a book lover, have a modest collection of my favorites, but these days I don't buy many. I actually prefer digital books in many ways. Knowing a certain reference is in a physical book many times doesn't help you, because there's no search function. If the book were digital you could find anything in it in a matter of seconds.

The internet is a mess and may lead to the downfall of civilization as we know it, but it sure is handy for searching. For a long time I had access to 6 of the leading newspapers of the 18th century, and if I decided to search for, say...tomahawk..., in less than a second I would have a list of every time the word was used in all those papers at any time in the 18th century, hundreds, sometimes thousands of instances. Think about that, and compare it to physically reading all those papers looking for the word.

It's like having the Library of Congress on your bookshelf.

It opens up worlds of opportunity. I doubt we are smart enough to make proper advantage of it.

Spence

George said:
...if I decided to search for, say...tomahawk..., in less than a second I would have a list of every time the word was used in all those papers at any time in the 18th century, hundreds, sometimes thousands of instances. Think about that, and compare it to physically reading all those papers looking for the word.

It's like having the Library of Congress on your bookshelf.

That's it in a nutshell. We have a substantial library here in our home here in Alaska- over 300 square feet with floor-to-ceiling shelving on three walls and some down the middle. It's stuffed, plus there are books in every other room. Some good stuff in there, but frankly I go there less and less. When I want to find something in a particular book these days, I'm more likely to turn on my laptop than to walk into my own library and search. Add in some travel to put miles between you and your physical library, and the internet gets even more use.

As you say, it's like having the whole library of congress in one hand and carrying it with you wherever you go.

Yep, I understand where you and Spence are coming from. I'm a book lover too, but find my nose in this Kindle more than a book these days.

I totally agree regarding how fantastically useful it (the internet) is, and, just as much in Spence's thought that it's a real mess and may become the downfall of civilization as we know it.

This cyber world we are now a part of is, in my opinion, a time bomb of sorts. :hmm:

Best regards, Skychief

The only people worth knowing are the ones that are running out of places to put their books. :wink:

Thank you Spence.
I keepe my cocke oyle free & the peece cleane with the tutch-hole well proined with the proyning pinnes.
O.

19 16 6 said:
Thank you Spence.
I keepe my cocke oyle free & the peece cleane with the tutch-hole well proined with the proyning pinnes.
O.
Good man. As Grose said, "The preparations will at the first touch give fire, and procure a violent, speedy, and thundering discharge."

Spence :haha:

Back