• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Earl Kathan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btech

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found this guy on the internet to fix my flintlock. Anybody ever had any dealings with him?

Never heard of him.

I was given a really nice poor boy that had some issues with the flintlock. I live 15 miles from Brad Emig's shop and dropped it off for him to fix. He did a great job and the gun goes off like it should now. I don't know what was done, but the bill was $85 and I couldn't figure the thing out myself and I have built a few. Brad is not cheap, but he is first rate.

A friend of mine used him to make a spring for a percussion lock that he had no idea who made. He did a good job as far as I know cause he is still shooting the gun and the few times I have handled/shot the gun it seems just fine. I do not remember the cost but I dont believe it was alot :idunno:

Last year I send him my Pedersoli Trade Musket frizzen for rehardening, he did a very good job, much better now.

And I just sent him a Euroarms frizzen that needed hardening. He did that, and also lightly tuned/tweaked the nose of it to smooth the rollover. His work was done fast, with an e-mail back to me to advise it was coming back and I couldn't be any more pleased.

Earl also promptly responded to my e-mail inquiry before I had sent him the frizzen.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Earl again!

Tight groups.

Old No7

Btech: I can HIGHLY recommend Earl. I'll bet Earl has worked on over 30 different locks of mine. All originals. Everything from simple tasks to major repairs. He is especially talented making new springs. Great work, reasonable pricing, and fast turn-around. He has also done a lot of restoration work for me. Could not be happier in my business dealings. Great guy to work with too. Rick. :hatsoff:

I wanna give credit where it's do. Earl did the following work in less than a week:

Reworked the nose of the frizzen for better roll-over.
Reworked the angle on the frizzen face for better strike against the face of the frizzen.
Smoothed and rehardened the frizzen face.
Reworked the tumbler where the nose of the mainspring rides to stop drag and binding against spring.
Reworked the sear bridle and frizzen toe to reduce drag against the frizzen.

The lock strikes good flame every time and he only charged me $60!!! I'm sold on him.

I would like to have Earl's contact information if anyone here would be so kind. I have a couple of original flintlocks that need a bit of work.

Back