• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch' s ratio 7:1 ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember my science classes and too lazy to look it up, but is it Newton's law about inertia etc. that when force is applied to move something there is equal force in the opposite direction. When the powder begins to explode and exerts force on the ball to get it moving, there is the same force pushing in the opposite direction. That is the primary reason for kick in a firearm.

Now when the gas erupts from the barrel it will also exert pressure in the opposite direction.

Kansas Jake
Look at the following url:
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/sowmoghy2Watch the the opening shots where you can see the pistol and the projectile.
Note the gap in time between the exit of the bullet and the beginning of the recoil.

The law you mention is something like
"for every action there is an equal reaction"

I had been wondering When the recoil began in relation to the ball leaving the barrel.

It's all interesting and fun to think about

Dutch

Last edited by a moderator:
My take: The opposite reaction does begin when the powder goes off, but the force has to overcome the inertia of the much heavier gun (vs. the lighter bullet), so it just appears to be a delay.

Learned years ago with a Ruger Blackhawk 44 pistol that changes in recoil dramatically change the point of impact. Slower heavy bullets (high recoil) impacted higher than faster light bullets (low recoil). The mechanics are different with the shorter barrel and different ”˜pivot point’ (based on how a pistol is held compared to a long gun) allowing more muzzle flip when compared to ML rifle, but it is hard to fool physics.

Fun stuff to speculate about and study. Cap & Ball revolver shooters experience the same thing when switching from a ball to a heavier conical bullet.

I never have used Ballistol,its very overpriced mineral oil thats water soluble {added detergent}.I started to use Dutch's system when he was reccomending Napa water soluble oil.Since I have an aquaintance that owns a machine shop I asked him for some the stuff they spray all over the multi purpose tools they program with a computer to crank out parts.Machine shops buy water soluble oil by the barrel.He gave me a gallon and it works great.He wanted to know what I was going to use it for and was fascinated when I told him.I guess I am cheap but paying the price that Ballistol costs for water soluble oil really gets to me.

Yep, water soluble oil can and does work,
Your lucky you found a good source.
Trouble is there are many manufacturers of "water soluble machine oil" and they can have slightly different properties depending on the simple recipe they use,, it could be a different emulsifier or binding agent,, any number of variables.
They all work doing what a machine shop needs it for, which is primarily cooling and mild lubrication. Right?
But there's been a little trouble with some of them when it comes to consistency of formula and the longevity of the product in treated fabric.

That's why Ballistol get's the vote with the system, it's proven to be consistent and reliable.

A lot of the Water soluble "Oils" are not based on oil but some other liquid glurp. They don't seem to work as a patch lube and occasionally will set fires down range.
I understand that Mobil Oil Co does have a try Water soluble oil but I believe it is sold in 5 gallon or larger containers.

I am delighted that Ballistol works so well..

A gentleman named Lawrence from Gastonia in the Carolinas figured out the fact that Ballistol performed so well..
Dutch Schoultz

I have been hassled by "Life Threatening: nuisance calls from som Fun Folks on Jamaica for some 4 maybe 5 months and so I have had to change my phone number. The one on my web site is no longer operative.

People who call on that number will assume that I am dead again

Im pretty much limited to the internet and anyone wanting the current Phone number can email me at

[email protected].

Dutch Schoultz

That stuff from mobil can be bought for $30 a gallon in gallon containers in case anyone is interested.I am not a Mechanical Engineer but it strikes me that anyone owning a machine shop with those computerized gismos that cost into the millions per copy is not going to use anything that could possibly damage the machine.Corrosion and undue wear at the head of the list.Nechi you are right; everyone tailors what they use to their needs.Anyhow I will continue to use the machine shop stuff I have which works for me.It was not my intention to argue with anyone all I wanted to do is point out there are alternatives to the great god Ballistol.Enuf said.

I like ballistol....AND for the $12-14.00 difference in price I wont have to store that gallon of oil to be used for but one thing. You should SEE :shocked2: my garage!

Hmmmm...!

I'll file that one away for future reference. Whether one shoots or cleans with it or not, maybe some should be kept in camp. :haha:

Back