• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Oven

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found a 12" 6qt dutch oven at Harbor Freight today while picking up some parts bins (didn't know they carried dutch ovens). It was $30 use the 20% off coupon and knock it down to $24. Yes it is made overseas, there is no name on the lid or pot which is something I was looking for. Got it in the oven doing the first seasoning, we'll see how it does.

Some Dutch ovens are made in Sub-Saharan Africa (I saw some overseas) and they seemed to work well after seasoning.
(Not exactly "high tech" to cast a pot/lid.)

yours, satx

I wonder if there could be anything not good for you here. I would think cast iron is cast iron. I oils think lead would boil off at casting temps for iron,. Quality control might not be is well but I would think it would've a good pot. Iron is iron.

Lead will surely kill you. I am 82 yo. and shot through, and they still are in me-------I'm still here. On the other hand, millions of deer have died of lead poison. :bull:

Make sure you clean it well before seasoning...to get off any rust or rust protectant that they used.
I heat it up real good to burn off anything I missed before seasoning.
I have lots of cast iron cookware....I even have some that Tractor supply sold. China, Taiwan, Lodge, Wagner, Griswold, no name etc....
They all have their ups and downs.

I have 14 " Stansport I wouldn't trade for anything.

I've got a 4 qt and a 6 qt cast iron Dutch ovens and once "cured" use them quite often.

They're easy to clean and above all, cook w/ even heat.

But seeing I sometimes cook for fairly large family parties, needed a larger "pot". So...bought an enamelized porcelain 8 qt Lodge cast iron Dutch oven. Recently made a paella in this "pot" and it worked well and the paella was a big success.

This "pot" doesn't need curing, but gives all the advantages of cast iron cooking, although had to make a hard maple "spatula" to avoid scratching the porcelain. Clean up is even easier than w/ the cured cast iron pots.

This porcelain pot sears meat to perfection and does produce a residue which is made into a delicious sauce {fond} w/ the addition of a good red wine or vegetables. Am thinking very seriously of buying smaller sizes.....Fred

Have used the regular cast iron pots over a fire, but don't intend on using the porcelain pot that way. Don't know if an open fire would damage the porcelain pot.

These porcelain pots can't be treated the same way as the regular cast iron pots....the porcelain can chip. In fact, plastic spacers are used when storing the lid on the pot to prevent chipping of the rim.

All in all....after using the new porcelain pot and seeing I no longer cook on an open fire, I prefer the porcelain pots....no curing or recuring, no oiling and definitely no rusting.....Fred

Got the first 2 seasonings done looking pretty good so far. I cooked it in the gas grill first at 600 degree washed it then started seasoning. One thing I noticed is that the casting is not as smooth as the older cast iron pots I have but they are 40 or 50 years old and have been used allot.

One thing I found with porcelain covered iron is taste. The uncovered iron taste better to me to cook in. The place I really note it is in stews or pot roast and such.
They cook even just like uncovered iron and hold heat well, but I gave mine to my daughter.

After cooking w/ both the cured and porcelain enameled cast iron pots {Dutch Ovens}, haven't noticed any difference in taste. If there actually is a difference in taste, perhaps the cured pots need a more thorough cleaning....a residue is flavoring the contents? Or...it could be the mind is playing tricks...happens to me all the time.....Fred

The inside lid surface is smooth no bumps, I have another smaller dutch oven with the bumps while ok for stews and such, not good for bread and pies.

I understand pot and I understand clean, but in one sentence it doesn't make sense :rotf:
Ido notice a "iron" flavor in things that cook long in iron. Fried taters pot roast, corn beef hash, chilie, corn bread all taste different to me. Quick cook things like bacon not so much. Dry red wine added to cooking takes on its own flavor.at least to me.
I taught my daughter to make my hash. She tried cooking it at home and called me to complain it wasn't right. We couldn't find what she did wrong, later when she was home she had me make some, it was the taste of my pot she was missing.

It is interesting to note molasses have been known as a great source of iron for many, many years, but lately they figured out the sugar cane has very little iron in it. It has all been coming off the machinery they use to press the cane.

Same difference with cast iron cookware. If you're using it to fry bacon, or deep fry donuts, you are not going to be getting a lot of iron in your food, but if you cook a stew with a lot of tomato sauce, or use wine in your cooking, you will be getting a lot of iron. The more acid the food, the more iron comes off the pot and into the food. That can be good to a point, but it can also be too much, especially if an acidic sauce sits in it for a long period of time.

I read where in parts of what is now Germany, the custom was for pregnant women to only drink water from a pitcher which had an iron hoop in the water, overnight....the "old wives tale" explanation was the devil hates iron and the hoop being a circle was a symbol of God's eternity...

They found out in the 20th century that the iron imparted to the water as it sat overnight, was a good idea in medieval times, for a pregnant woman to reduce the risk of iron deficiency. A good example of seeing cause-and-effect at work, though the explanation wasn't what was actually going on.

BEER is different when brewed in an iron vessel than when in copper.

LD

Curing is supposed to supply a "lining" or coating that separates the cast iron surface from the food. It also yields a more easily "cleanable" surface.

If the curing does the above, why would the food taste differently?

Judging from my experience cooking in cast iron, cured pots, sometimes the cover is not cured properly and will alter the taste of food.

Which begs the question....how do you "cure" the cast iron pots and covers?.

I do mine in the oven at high temps w/ shortening...a smoky mess but it does "cure" both the pot and cover.

That's the reason that I now mainly use enamelized porcelain cast iron Dutch ovens....but my properly cured Dutch ovens will still be used....Fred

Curing works fine for keeping things from sticking, but if acid like tomato juice or wine is in contact with it for a long enough time it will eat away the curing layer. How long it would take, I would suppose, depends on how acid the food is and how thick of a curing layer was built up in the pan before using it for the acid foods.

My collection of cast iron outweighs me and I'm not small.

Lodge Cast Iron was and is the best in my opinion, if you are buying new. It seasons quicker and reseasons quicker and needs reseasoning less often. I say that from experience. Now days it comes preseasoned.

Old American made stuff is often as good as lodge.

The Chinese stuff will work. I have it and use it.

If you want to look HC the Lodge stuff isn't going to work as they have that huge logo. I see modern Chinese stuff in the historical area at Friendship and it looks fine.

Never tried porcelain coated iron.

I think I can taste the iron but I may simply be tasting a superior product if cast iron cooks better than stainless.

Those protuberances on the Lodge lids are "self basters" and they make a huge difference in the taste of roast pork, I have cooked it with and without. But they are not HC.

Favorite dish:
Put a pork roast and a few sprigs of fresh rosemary (I grow it) in a DO with the self basters. Add onions and potatoes. Works indoors or out.

If you are going to cook indoors get an oven without legs. Outdoors you want the legs and the rim. I have both. Legs are a pain in the oven.The rim keeps charcoal from falling into the stew.

Back