• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Oven cooking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm a fair hand with one myself however would like to see some recipes/techniques of practiced hands. anyone weigh in?

When cooking biscuits, invert a pie pan in the bottom of the dutch oven, then put the biscuits in another pan on top of the inverted one. Keeps the bottom from burning before the top is done. graybeard

Made a Cherry cobbler in one this past winter for the grandkids We were camping out and hunting
2 cans cherry pie filling
1 box yellow cake mix
1 egg
1 cup milk
Combine cake mix, egg and milk stir till smooth
pour half the mix in the greased oven and marble in one can pie filling and repeat with remaining mix and filling do not over mix the pie filling sit on coals and cover with coals check after 20 min or so
Goes right well with duck and rabbit on a frosty night with the kids :wink:

A fellow Assistant Scout Master used one to make "Monkey Bread" during summer camp last month. He used biscut dough in a can, cut & rolled it into meatball-sized balls, then poured-in a concoction of brown sugar and some other stuff.

I'll be seeing him again after the Labor day holiday, and I'll ask him for the family recipe. That stuff was really good and you could break it apart with just your fingers, so it was ideal for a camp-out!

Dave

good to see the info. one thing I've found out is recipes with tomatoe in them affect the seasoning in the DO, if it scorches it's twice as bad.

Do a google search for "dutch oven recipes" There is enough sites to keep your reading for days. I have found so really good eats that way. I have found with a little practice I can cook just about any thing on the fire that my wife can on the stove. Not saying that she can't cook.

All I've ever made was cobblers. Cup of milk, cup of flour, and a cup of sugar, and put the fruit on the top so the crust cooks up from the bottom.
Canned pie filling works great-apple, cherry or peach.
Just grease the pot really well and cook it slow over coals that are burnt down pretty low.

Blizzard, you are exactly right!
I haven't made it in a while and I forgot the butter. :redface:
It works just as good in the oven at home too. :wink:

DO cooking is lots of fun. Try looking at the IDOS website. They have lots of recipes and info on Dutch ovens, even a recipe for restoring old iron through home electrolysis.

to heck with dessert, let's DO a venison shoulder-boned of course. lay the meat out and sprinkle the 'inside' with salt,pepper, and chopped garlic and place a piece of bacon on,
roll it up and tie with roasting twine.
in a hot DO over fire melt 2 tbs. shortening (bacon grease is better) and fry the roast until lightly browned on all sides. then set DO on 'low coals' and pour in 1 cup water (beer or red wine for the Democrats) then place tight fitting lid on and put burning coals on top.
roast for 1 hrs. while preparing root veggies, quarted onion and sweet peppers.
uncover and add veggies to one side of DO, pushing meat to other side(more seasoning on veggies), mindful of liquid - don't let the DO steam dry.
cook another 1&1/2 hrs. on med-low with coals on top while cooking bread and preparing sides and dessert. (beans of nearly any sort are very good with this)
set off fire and let sit(rest) for 5 minutes if you can stand it.
If you wish, remove any liquid from DO carefully into a pan and make gravy with.
enjoy a fine meal fit for a king. you will be grateful you made the decision to buy that .50 cal. smokepole.

:) Made cheese soufle once in the DO. Tasted great, but didn't rise as high as I'd have liked. Sooo, I guess you can make just about anything in the DO as you can in your oven at home.

Soaring Spirit
--------------
Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Myself being a Scout leader, I use ovens pretty much for everything! I like to flip the lid over on some coals, and fry eggs and bacon!

One of the holy grails of Do cooking is found right here at MacScouter. These are free, and great cookbooks.
[url] http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/index.html[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got that site saved to favorites. ain't read it much yet but seems to have some good tips. have you used any Bisquick recipes in a DO? I have made fresh hot biscuit bread, grease the bottom and pile coals atop the lid and few under neath to bake. sort of spread out the dough and score it with a greased knife, it will break up into chunks easy. good with chile beans or stew.

Pretty much anything you can cook up at home you can can cook in a DO, But for some reason it allways taste better when away and on an open fire.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/207477/[/url]

My kids learning to use them....

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah you definitely got it down pat. happy campers, I checked that when you first posted. the outdoors do seem to perk up the appetite don't it?

As sson as we get some snow up here to get the forest fires out we'll be able to get back in the mountains. Right now evrything in montana is about half burnt up. So most of our campouts are postponed till winter. But Then look out.....

Back