• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dusted Off The Colt Paterson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scobrien

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After getting the new 1860, I had to pull out my other percussion revolvers and give them the eyeball. When I grabbed the Patterson, it dawned on me that it has gone the longest without being fired. I am sad to say that I can not remember exactly when I last shot it :(

So to fix the issue, this afternoon I put ten cylinders full through it for a total of fifty rounds. Most were at metal gongs, but I did fire one group off hand on paper at 18 yards. I held center at the bottom of the paper, so as you can tell from the pic below, it is not hitting too awful high. I may get around to fixing that issue some time in the future.

I got this pistol from Cabelas mabey fifteen years ago when they were carrying them. It is a Uberti in charcoal blue. As Capper reported in my previous post, the finish is wearing back much faster than regular blue. Viewed in the natural light, it is taking on a slight grey tint. If I used it once in a while, it would already have a nice patina to it.

For those that own a Paterson, you will surely agree that it is a unique revolver. Disassembly and re- assembly are a bit more involved than the later colts and the stubby grip, straight trigger, lack of trigger guard, and long hammer throw make for different feeling and handleing shooter.

I messed up when I first bought this gun by not getting one with a loading lever as well. The price was not that bad back then. I only assume that it has now gone up considerably given that they are now out of production.

Anyway, it has now been completely stripped down, cleaned and put back together and will probably go through another long spell of neglect on my part by not giving it enough attention. I am surprised that the pistol gods have not confiscated it by now.

The lighting in this pic shows some of the wear on the blueing.
SANY1075.jpg

It is fun to reload by pulling the barrel and using the ramming tool.
SANY1073.jpg

If only I could hold well enough to keep all the rounds together like the two that are touching in the center. Oh well, I shall not complain because even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then.
SANY1065.jpg

I love my patterson. I have a Uberti Texas Paterson. Pulling out the leaf rammer is such a Zen type thing. :haha: I broke my frist one so I bought 2 replacements( just in case thingy). I have been picking up the peices slowly to fill a presentation case. And I too, don't bring it out enough to use. And great grouping with a gun you haven't fired in a few years. :thumbsup: It's alomost like shooting a new gun for the first time when you bring one out you haven't used in a while.

As I recall, the price was 225. I got one from them the same time, the bluing does wear off pretty easily. I got mine while I was still buckskinning, suffice to say, it caused more than a little controversy.

Nice!
I don't know if you watch much TV, but there's a series out now called "Supernatural" that's been on for a few seasons. In it they use a "blessed" Colt, a Patterson model, to great effect in killing evil things.
I just thought it was cool that out of all the guns they could have chosen, a Patterson was the choice. At any rate, sweet looking revolver.

I actually have not heard of that TV show. And now that I think of it, I do not recall seeing a Paterson in a western.

Thanks for the reply and comment!

Peter Fonda carried two in 'Hawken's Breed' that was the movie's only saving grace and Gary Busey carried one for a bit in 'Barbarossa'.

Thanks Lizardo.

It has been years since I watched Barbarossa and will have to do so again just to see the Paterson.

I had never heard of Hawkins Breed before and may have to look that one up.

Latest posts

Back