• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paterson and 1861 Navy at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kh54

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All. A few days ago I posted something about my MOFRA Colt Paterson with photos of the case that I repaired for it. On Monday I took it to the range for the first time. I also took the first BP revolver that I bought a few years ago, an Uberti 1861 Navy. I hadn't really intended to compare the two but it sort of turned out that way. And I guess it makes sense since the Paterson was the first of Colt's successful designs (even though it wasn't financially successful), while the 1861 Navy is considered to represent the pinnacle of Colt’s percussion revolver designs. So these two guns bookend the 25 or so years of Colt’s career in the percussion revolver business. Below are the specs for the two guns and I’ve also attached a photo of each:

Original
Model
Manufacturer
Proof Date
Caliber
Barrel Length
Weight
Colt​
Paterson​
MOFRA​
1964​
9in​
2lb 9.5oz​
Colt​
1861 Navy​
Uberti​
2018​
7.5in​
2lb 10.9oz​

I was shooting offhand at a distance of only about seven yards, but since this was the first time to the range with either gun I was just trying to get a sense for how well they shoot and not set any records. For each round I used 20 grains of 3F Goex and a Hornady .375 round ball. I forgot the loading tool for the Paterson so I only managed to load one cylinder and fire those five rounds. I had to use a plastic hammer to seat the balls. (Note to self: don’t leave the loading tool at home.) Those five shots are circled in red on the target. I then loaded and fired six cylinders (36 rounds unless I’ve forgotten simple arithmetic) from the 1861 Navy. You can see the results. I was pleased.

I bought the Uberti 1861 Navy for my wife several years ago, but we only had one chance to shoot it before she died. After that I couldn’t bring myself to take it out and use it until the other day. When I bought it, I took it apart and followed the advice of Blackie Thomas and Mike Beliveau to remove all the burrs and polish all the mating surfaces. The results are a fantastic shooter, with a light action and trigger. I don’t know how much of that was due to my efforts and how much is due to Uberti, but it is by far the nicest revolver that I have. I didn’t have a single cap jam, something that occurs regularly with my other revolvers, and overall, it was just FUN. The Paterson is a bit more cumbersome to load, as expected, and I hope to try again soon with the loading tool in hand to see if I can get results consistent with those from Monday.

Attachments

• 1861 Navy 022023.jpg
    1861 Navy 022023.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Paterson & case_1.jpg
    Paterson & case_1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1861 Navy 024023.jpg
    1861 Navy 024023.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi All. A few days ago I posted something about my MOFRA Colt Paterson with photos of the case that I repaired for it. On Monday I took it to the range for the first time. I also took the first BP revolver that I bought a few years ago, an Uberti 1861 Navy. I hadn't really intended to compare the two but it sort of turned out that way. And I guess it makes sense since the Paterson was the first of Colt's successful designs (even though it wasn't financially successful), while the 1861 Navy is considered to represent the pinnacle of Colt’s percussion revolver designs. So these two guns bookend the 25 or so years of Colt’s career in the percussion revolver business. Below are the specs for the two guns and I’ve also attached a photo of each:

Original
Model
Manufacturer
Proof Date
Caliber
Barrel Length
Weight
Colt​
Paterson​
MOFRA​
1964​
9in​
2lb 9.5oz​
Colt​
1861 Navy​
Uberti​
2018​
7.5in​
2lb 10.9oz​

I was shooting offhand at a distance of only about seven yards, but since this was the first time to the range with either gun I was just trying to get a sense for how well they shoot and not set any records. For each round I used 20 grains of 3F Goex and a Hornady .375 round ball. I forgot the loading tool for the Paterson so I only managed to load one cylinder and fire those five rounds. I had to use a plastic hammer to seat the balls. (Note to self: don’t leave the loading tool at home.) Those five shots are circled in red on the target. I then loaded and fired six cylinders (36 rounds unless I’ve forgotten simple arithmetic) from the 1861 Navy. You can see the results. I was pleased.

I bought the Uberti 1861 Navy for my wife several years ago, but we only had one chance to shoot it before she died. After that I couldn’t bring myself to take it out and use it until the other day. When I bought it, I took it apart and followed the advice of Blackie Thomas and Mike Beliveau to remove all the burrs and polish all the mating surfaces. The results are a fantastic shooter, with a light action and trigger. I don’t know how much of that was due to my efforts and how much is due to Uberti, but it is by far the nicest revolver that I have. I didn’t have a single cap jam, something that occurs regularly with my other revolvers, and overall, it was just FUN. The Paterson is a bit more cumbersome to load, as expected, and I hope to try again soon with the loading tool in hand to see if I can get results consistent with those from Monday.
He be very dead :horseback:

Back