• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DuraCoat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on a "gag-me-with-a-spoon" side note. in the description of the new Mountain Rifle on Traditions website it says "while originals had a rust brown finish on their barrels, Traditions has selected a Brown Cerakote finish which 'replicates' this finish while providing increased corrosion protection."

same? similar? completely different? I don't know cowboy. but I DO know I don't want either one on my guns.

Hmmmmmm ... Interesting. I have a pistol with a Cerakote finish and it's doing a great job so far. Doesn't look painted at all but, then again, it's factory applied ...which is probably better than I could do.
I'll have to find a store that carries them and take a look at that finish.

They are both "painted on" finishes. The application processes vary a little but, both are sprayed on.
I don't know about the chemical composition of either but, there are plenty of videos of both processes on-line.

If one is going to paint a muzzleloader then one should use a period correct paint and paint it in a period correct fashion.....

Using Duracote or Cerakote on a traditional muzzleloader turns it into a non-traditional muzzleloader....same as if you put a plastic stock on it or a Tasco 3x9 scope.

Is a Duracoat or Cerakote finish really that noticeable? At a distance of a foot or two, can one really tell the difference between those and a traditional blued or browned finish (providing they are correctly applied)?
Looking closely at my Cerakoted modern pistol, I can't tell the difference from a regular "blacked" finish. I would not have known it was "coated" if the literature that came with it hadn't noted it was Cerakote.

Hand a gun with a painted barrel to someone who knows muzzleloaders - that would be a test...

I have a number of modern arms with Duracoat and Cerakote. They're really different from bluing- as someone already said, more black. Bluing with Laurel Mountain Forge results in a black too, but from those I've seen more of a "polish" like hot-dip bluing, even if it's black. The two paint-ons are lots more dull.

Haven't seen a brown version of either brush-on. But there's such a wide range of "browning" results out there using other methods, it might fall somewhere in the realm. I know I strongly dislike plum browning for example, while the unique browning solution/process used by GRRW produces the nicest brown I've seen. Quite tough in addition to buttery texture almost, if I can use that word.

Speculation here, but I'd really have to see the brown version of Duracoat before I could react to it. Guys point out that it's "just a spray." There's an up side to that, even if it's not as tough as conventional browning: If you scrape it up, just touch it up with more spray.

Anyone has photos of the Duracoat brown, I'd sure love to see them.

rowdyjoe said:
"use a period correct paint and paint it in a period correct fashion...." That's funny :)
But true...
There are a few period examples of painted guns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a TC Renegade that I have used as a test and practice gunsmithing vehicle over the last 35 years. When I bought it I was a high power hunter and wanted to get away from the crowds, but still wanted the most effective hunting rifle I could get. If modern inlines had been around then, I might have considered one for it's weather resistance. But I digress from the subject. I Duracoated that Renegade in a color that sounded like it was supposed to be a traditional browning color, but it wasn't even close. However I learned to live with it. Duracoat is a 2 part mix (hardener & paint) that I sprayed on with a small cup gun. This was before Duracoat was available in spray cans. I bead blasted the barrel and all the small metal parts before degreasing and painting. It proved to be a very durable and weather proof finish. Properly applied it looks like an automotive finish. The only thing I didn't do was to dull the edges on the barrel flats and the muzzle crown. Those sharp edges are more prone to chipping, especially the muzzle. The first ML season I hunted with it after Duracoating was a very wet year. Of the 4 muzzleloaders that my group hunted with that year, mine was the only one that did not rust, at all. Well, except for inside the lock, everybody's did.
Cerakote is a completely different product. It is a bake on paint that is ceramic based and is probably 2-3 times as hard as Duracoat.
Less you think I went completely over to the dark side, my favorite elk rifle the last 8 years is a fullstock reproduction of an early model .54 Hawken flintlock. I am currently building a .45 flintlock for my ML deer tag I drew this year.

Thanks very much for your reply.
By "automotive finish", do you mean it's shiny?
Would you use it again on another firearm?

I haven't found any pictures of Duracoat "browned" finish and your description of your experience helps a lot. I've read that the "browned" finish has been improved but, can only take their word due to lack of pictures and reports. I don't want to be a guinea pig. :)
The blue finishes I've seen appear to be very glossy and I'd rather have a satin black or blue finish to hold down the glare but, still look nice.

I have plenty of time before I need to put a finish on a barrel so, I'll keep researching.

Latest posts

Back