• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Has anybody actually used duracoat on a barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a search and found only one thread on this subject, and it was from 4 years ago. I wonder if there might be any more up to date information available, and I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has actually used this product.

I am well aware that most of the members here are proponents of period correct type firearms and processes to build them. Nothing wrong with that, but I can't be the only one who simply enjoys shooting my flintlocks without being concerned with whether they look exactly right to someone else. The rifle I shoot all the time is the Traditions Deerhunter flintlock with the plastic stock so that sets the tone for what's acceptable to me. That rifle fit my budget and has been very reliable, so I've been quite happy with it.

I'm planning on building a kit rifle as it seems like the kind of project I'd enjoy. I'm not concerned about fitting parts into the wood stock or finishing the wood parts, but I am trying to find out what would be the best way to finish the barrel.

I've done some reading on rust browning or bluing and don't think that's the direction I want to go in. Maybe I just don't understand the processes or what the end result is like, but neither of those seem like they would produce the hard, relatively maintenance free finish I want. Pretty much the same could be said for the cold bluing products that are rubbed on in multiple coats.

I thought a cerakote finish might be the ticket as it's used on some of my modern firearms and I know it's durable, but it's not something I can do at home. My research indicates that the duracoat finish is similar to cerakote in many ways. It's about the same thickness and almost as hard. It's also available in several colors and I'm thinking the blue/black would be appropriate for a gun barrel.

I've read comments along the lines of if you're going to paint your gun barrel you might as well just get a can of rustoleum as it's a lot cheaper than duracoat, but that's not really a valid comparison. I know enough about paint to know that a true epoxy is much more durable than a single stage paint.

I've got time to make a decision since most of the kits I'm considering are not in stock anywhere right now, so I'm gathering as much information as I can get.

If anyone here has ever used the duracoat product on their gun barrel I'd really appreciate your input.

I have used Duracoat, not on a barrel, but have used it. It is more durable than regular paint, but not even close to cerakote.
Also, a properly done hot blue or browning job is very durable and requires no more maintenance than any other steel gun, an oily rag or silicone cloth wipe down now and then. Of course a proper cleaning after shooting.
There is a big difference between hot bluing or browning and cold blue.

If you really don't want to do a hot blue or brown, but want some type of finish put on the barrel steel, try the duracote, what do you have to loose?

Black powder after it’s burned turns in to a monster that wants to eat your gun.
Care after shooting is your best bet. I have several guns ‘in the white’ they stay nice even though they join me in the tall timber.
Honestly I doubt a paint job will protect your gun as well as a finish. And if you don’t want to go all primitive, beechwood Casey’s perms blue can serve you well with some touch ups over time.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions. The consensus seems to be don't do it. I've come to the conclusion that maybe I'm not ready to build a kit gun yet so I ordered a completed gun instead.

I'm very happy with the Traditions Deerhunter flintlock I have now but I wanted a rifle with a wooden stock and double triggers so I ordered a Traditions Hawken flintlock.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions. The consensus seems to be don't do it. I've come to the conclusion that maybe I'm not ready to build a kit gun yet so I ordered a completed gun instead.

I'm very happy with the Traditions Deerhunter flintlock I have now but I wanted a rifle with a wooden stock and double triggers so I ordered a Traditions Hawken flintlock.
...and so it begins 🤪

I’ve used it on modern sporting rifles when I wanted to apply camouflage patterns specific to an area, terrain and vegetation. If given adequate drying time or oven curing it won’t smell… and it’s fairly durable although blue or brown looks much better on muzzleloaders and protects as well or better.

I'm not a fan. It cost too much and takes too long to dry. Plus it isn't very tough compared to other finishes.

Latest posts

Back