• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb cap and ball mistake - advice needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've stupidly loaded two balls into the same chamber of a cap and ball revolver. I've heard of people intentionally firing two balls from the same chamber, but I don't want to try that. I'm not sure whether there's powder between the two balls. I'm thinking that I can remove all caps (already done), remove the cylinder from the frame, remove the nipple from the double loaded chamber, drain the powder from under the first ball and drive both balls (and the powder possibly between them) out with a wooden dowel and a hammer. Is this safe? Thanks!

A less invasive method:

- Remove the cylinder
- Remove the caps
- Screw a self-tapping screw into the ball from the mouth of the chamber
- Pull the screw/ball assembly out
- Dump powder (if present) as necessary

I'm not saying I ever screwed up in a way that required pulling a ball...

I've stupidly loaded two balls into the same chamber of a cap and ball revolver. I've heard of people intentionally firing two balls from the same chamber, but I don't want to try that. I'm not sure whether there's powder between the two balls. I'm thinking that I can remove all caps (already done), remove the cylinder from the frame, remove the nipple from the double loaded chamber, drain the powder from under the first ball and drive both balls (and the powder possibly between them) out with a wooden dowel and a hammer. Is this safe? Thanks!
Yes

I've stupidly loaded two balls into the same chamber of a cap and ball revolver. I've heard of people intentionally firing two balls from the same chamber, but I don't want to try that. I'm not sure whether there's powder between the two balls. I'm thinking that I can remove all caps (already done), remove the cylinder from the frame, remove the nipple from the double loaded chamber, drain the powder from under the first ball and drive both balls (and the powder possibly between them) out with a wooden dowel and a h
A sheet rock screw works just fine after securing the cylinder in a padded vice. Screw it into the middle of the ball and pull with pliers or vice grips.

I "dry balled" a chamber today. First time shooting my revolver. I took the nipple out and tapped out the ball with a brass punch. Sits on my bench with several other of my "Bone Head" awards. Won't say it will be my last time. But it was shure a good time shooting it today.

Read number 4 and follow his directions.

My $0.02: I would use a brass rod to drive out the two balls.

In case of a dry ball, I keep a flintlock pan charger in my revolver shooting box. I've also used it to add a small BP kicker charge when paper cartridges loaded with old Triple 7 wouldn't ignite from just a cap.

I've had to pull balls several times when I could'nt get that chamber to fire. I put the cylinder in my vise and screw a drywall screw into the lead. I use a pair of sidecutters and squeeze the screw and cantilever the side cutters and it comes right out. If you take the nipple out and use anykind of punch you can damage the threads if your not careful.

The OP didn't give the brand of revolver he has but with a Remington the nipple holes are angled and it's possible to hit the cylinder wall with a punch well before it drives the ball out. With a steel punch it can damage the chamber. Though it might take a fair amount of force to seat a ball it doesn't take much to pull one. A drywall screw and pliers has always worked for me.

Should be....no caps, you should be good. Just careful!

Just as long as there are NO caps on it remove the cylinder and try one of the above ways. Just don't damage the revolver.

Remove caps, remove cylinder, screw a wood screw into top ball. Then with wooden dowel across cylinder face, use a pair of wire cutters to grip the screw shank and lever the ball out. Ensure the rear ball is clear to the front, then take the nipple off the rear, dribble a little powder in, replace nipple, reassemble gun and cap. Fire in a safe direction. Same routine as loading a dry ball.

Two balls in the same chamber of a revolver is a new one!
simple fix: remove nipples, dunk the entire cylinder in a tub of hot water, fill chamber with oil to flush out or deactivate all black powder, screw a simple corkscrew into the ball from the front / exit side of the chamber. Pull out first ball ( usually comes our very easily) repeat for second ball. clean cylinder

Back