• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tg

Cannon
Reaction score
Anyone have any good recipes for the dry patch system to share? I have not tried it for several years and cannot find my notes and wanted to try it in my Fusil for s&%ts and giggles.

Try 5:1, or 6:1, water to oil, using water soluble oil or mineral oil( Ballistol-Tm). Just remember to stir or shake up the container of oil and water to mix it well before dipping in the fabric strips. You want an even distribution of oil in the cloth after the water evaporates, so use a rubbler ink roller, or a plastic spatula to rub over the cloth once its laid out flat on a board, or cookie sheet, to remove the excess . Removing the excess helps the fabric dry faster. Rolling or rubbing the fabric insures the even distribution of the oil in the cloth. How much oil is in the ratio largely depends on the relative humidity where you live, and hunt. There is Nothing Set in concrete about the ratio of oil to water. It depends on air temperature, relative humidity( which can change with changes in the temperature and wind)and what a particular barrel likes. I suspect that bore diameter, groove depth, type of grooves, and barrel length all play a part in deciding what ratio works best in a given barrel. Then there is patch fabric thickness, and Ball diameter to Bore diameter, etc. :thumbsup:

This "Dry Lube system" of Dutch Schoultz allows you to lubricate the patches you use around a lead ball, without having so much oil in the cloth that it quickly migrates into your powder charge and fouls it.

I second the 5 or 6 to 1 Ballistol to water ratio. I tried the 7to 1 but it is a tad dry for me. Still works good but. After you shoot check your patches, I could not find mine yesterday the wind took them.

I have used Stumpy's moose juice at 6 to 1 and I like it very well...................watch yer top knot......................

Thanks guys, In will give it a try in my smoothbore.

Back