• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dry ball idjit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually have my flint pan charger with me. Pull the nipple and the pan charger spout fits right down in that nipple hole with no problem. Couple of pushes with 4fg put the nipple back in and out she comes.

Not all ball pullers are created equal, hopefully you can find a nice one that fits. I have one that is great and one that just cuts a shallow crater in the ball. Makes a bad scene even less impressive. Lol

Track of the Wolf sells a set of large thread, tapered pullers with brass centering spacers for the various calibers. Also you shouild always aim the rifle at the ground a few feet safely downrange to see the ball hit the ground.

Not sure this would be called a "dryball" but ..... Was shooting my 1860 Colt copy by Uberti for the first time in 3 years, due to health problems, at our range on the farm. My wife walked past me and started talking, and I talked with her for a minute, then went back to loading my gun. Well, the next ball would not seat completely, no matter how hard I tried. It was seated far enough that I ended cutting into the ball with a knife and prying on the ball to remove it. When the ball came out I discovered a ball had already been loaded into the chamber. Will never do that again. Uh huh!

You can also take the stock off and melt a stuck slug out of a barrel. I've had to melt lap slugs out many times that got stuck in the bore. You do not need to worry about changing anything as far a metallurgy if you only use a propane torch or two and it usually won't hurt the blue or brown either.
You are right as far as I am concerned. The low temp needed to melt lead doesn't hurt the barrel. I use two burners on a gas stove to dry my rifle after cleaning before oiling and putting it up. I never got a ball stuck yet? LOL!

Dry-balling a Whitworth rifle with one of those fancy hexagonal bullets is a lot less fun than it sounds. Trying to PULL that baby out is a never-going-to-happen event, so blowing it out is the only way to go.

Uh, so I'm reliably informed......:rolleyes:

You can also take the stock off and melt a stuck slug out of a barrel. I've had to melt lap slugs out many times that got stuck in the bore. You do not need to worry about changing anything as far a metallurgy if you only use a propane torch or two and it usually won't hurt the blue or brown either.
If you do that, make sure you’re not setting off a pipe bomb.

except when he fired the gun the first time the ball likely traveled part way up the bore and lodged. he didn't seat the ball before shooting it out. may be considered a bore obstruction.

Dry balling the equalizer of muzzle loading.

There is those that have. those that will, and those that will do it again.
And those that will fib.

Dry balling the equalizer of muzzle loading.

Take the barrel off and take the nipple out. Take it to a local tire shop (best if you know the guy) and have him use a blow gun with a rubber tip on it, full line pressure. Make sure it is pointed out the open overhead door. When he hits the lever, it will go FOOMP! Out the muzzle. Could spray a bit of WD40 or some such around the ball. I did this with a stuck patch and jag. Put a big dent in the door too so......

I still have the record at my club but sincerely hope some one will best me! :D Five dry balls in one match!
In my defense of stupidity it was a timed fire silhouette match and with a muzzle loader that is a very busy time and it was over the course of 4 relays. I just kept doing it and getting more frustrated each time it happened. Brains just turned to oat meal in the heat of the action.
I usually keep the pulled balls in a tray of my loading box to recycle and just last Saturday I started picking them out of the tray and found 5 that have accumulated over the last year or two so apparently I'm not over it yet. It brings a good laugh as my friends regularly remind me of this dubious distinction.
I did win the match last Saturday along with winning a lbs of powder in a shoot off target closest to the X center so that cooled off the razzing a bit. 😄

Latest posts

Back