• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Druthers ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I am curious ... as possibly sometime in the future I can see a larger bore rifle used for hunting any larger big game in the US.

So ... if you had your druthers, which caliber, rifle style and such, would you reccommend?

I currently shoot 50 cal and 45 cal, but I am talking bigger bores here such as 54, 58, 62 etc ... what would you choose and why?

I feel an itch comin on for a big boy rifle-gun! :grin:

Thanx

Davy

I can tell you I really like my Jim Chambers Christians Spring in .58. It's not as graceful as the later American longrifles and fowlers, but the beefy stock soaks up the recoil, and the 37" barrel makes for easy handling in the woods. Of course, it's historically correct, as the original still exists. Now, I'm going the other way and working on a long, slim .45. And if I can learn to place a ball with my fowler, the smoothbore will be my choice for deer next year. You just can't have too many .

Davy said:
I am curious ... as possibly sometime in the future I can see a larger bore rifle used for hunting any larger big game in the US.

So ... if you had your druthers, which caliber, rifle style and such, would you reccommend?

I currently shoot 50 cal and 45 cal, but I am talking bigger bores here such as 54, 58, 62 etc ... what would you choose and why?

I feel an itch comin on for a big boy rifle-gun! :grin:

Thanx

Davy

I've deer hunted the .45/.50/.54 for several years and then during the past two years I've used a new .58cal...definitely more than I need for Eastern whitetails at typical woods distances but I love it...no question you're shooting a rifle with some real "whompability" !
:grin:

The Three Druthers, are Larry, Daryl and Daryl. :rotf:

Sorry. :v

Big game calibers shoot over 400 grains of lead in my book. So that makes it a 66 cal or larger. I have a 62, and it is Ok, but only shoots a 358 grain ball.

Now my 73, shoots a 550 grain ball, but in a bigger gun.

What caliber?????........a 69cal is a very good place to start.

Now, do you plan on shooting pure lead or hardened Round Balls. The difference is the depth of the rifling. Deep for PB and shallow for Paper Patched hard stuff.

With a 1 in 90 or so twist!

Narrow lands and wide groves.

I guess it depends on how you define "big" and what you call "enough."

I've used my 54 with PRB for moose, Roosevelt elk and Rocky mountain elk. I'm careful about broadside shots, so it hasn't been a problem with any of them- one shot kills all.

I've been getting twitchy for something bigger though. A 58 appeals, but if I'm going bigger, why not a lot bigger. 62 and 69 are getting there, but I may skip them all and go to a 72.

I'm not inclined to shoot the big bears, but their teeth and claws toss you into a different category. For my purposes the size of the bore in my rifle isn't near as important as the size of the bore in the rifle backing me up and the character of the man holding it. You're talking close range with a ML, and too much can go wrong, including the nerves of your backup.

I'm confident that my .54 with a round ball can handle any hooved big game on the continent. If I was on foot and pestering larger bears I would probably feel better with a .58. Definately feel even better still with a second rifle handy.

The size of your riffle would depend on what you hunt and how you hunt,my 50cal has a 42 inch barrel witch is not real handy hunting from a blind,my 54 GPR is a little easier to maneuver in close places. How big is the game you are going to hunt. :winking: Rocky

I have taken elk with both a .54 and .58. They both did the job quite nicely. Either one will work well. I built a new .58 flinter last summer that I will be packing along for elk this year just because I haven't taken an elk with a flinter yet, not because I felt undergunned with the .54.

I have also seen a .54 take a buffalo with one shot. It would depend upon what you want. A .54 is not a lot different that shooting a .50. A .58 has more recoil but not anything terrific. Try both and see which you like.

If you feel an itch...scratch it! :thumbsup:

My guns are from .32 to .62 but I don't have a .58. I don't really need a .58 but I'd just like to fill that gap...ya know what I mean :haha:

Even before I started a .54 last yr. I wanted a .58. So I'm waiting on the parts for a .58 now. Doubt I'll ever hunt elk again, but if I do I'd prefer a .58. I have a .62 smoothbore, so now I can go in the other direction..probably a .40 next.

I really like my .54s. You can take anything on this continent with it; things are readily available for them and they are not too expensive to shoot.

Having said that, I will own a .62 someday. Just because I want one.

CS

Okay that being said .. who makes those size barrels, what style rifle and configuration (barrel length, width, twist) ... and who do YOU prefer. :grin:

Davy

.54s are available in almost any style of semicustom guns.

The question is what do want to use the gun for?

Most of us chose our guns based upon our tastes or interests. Do you have a period of history in mind or is there a style of gun that has your interest?

For my first .54 I bought a Lyman GPR kit that I found cheap. The price was right, I wanted a project to finish and I wanted to hunt hogs with it. This gun is easy to clean, is accurate and not too heavy to haul around with you. While I enjoy seeing a long barreled fullstock, I sometimes like a shorter barrel for some hunting situations.

I have collected parts for a more correct Hawken rifle in .54 and hope to begin work on that project this summer.

I will also build a .54 Southern Mountain in the next year.

CS

Heh...I hear you on this one. I presently have a 54. My choice would be a .62. Why? Well...imo..going to a .58 to me seems to "close" if you will. Now I know I will never get a chance to hunt griz but that doesn't mean I wouldn't get a bigger gun.

Back