• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DP Kentucky Range Day/Flash Rust?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my DP Pedersoli Kentucky percussion out for the third time. Before leaving home I ran dry patches followed by a couple of alcohol patches as suggested. I only had 1 misfire today but think it may have been fouling as I had twenty shots or so out of it. Nipple pick did the job.

I'm starting to get used to this gun and figure things out. I was using 50 grains of pyrodex select and managed to get three consecutive shots though the same hole at 25 yards and at 50 yards I had two within an inch of the bulls eye and two others that were within 4 inches. Those were definitely my fault as I felt my wrist turn when I pulled the trigger.

I know in my last posts I talked about the long cleaning time. I tried running a few patches soaked in TC No.13 Bore cleaner before leaving the range to get some of the fouling out. I finished with warm soapy water when I got home a couple hours later.

I think what I'm getting is flash rust soon after I run water through the gun. The black patches turned two tannish/brown/orange patches. So I started running oiled patches and it started to lighten up. I thought I had it all out then a couple hours later I ran some dry patches and got more of the same out until they came out pretty clean and ran some oiled patches again.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Try cleaning between shots and using tepid water at home.

"I think what I'm getting is flash rust soon after I run water through the gun"

Nope, flash rust comes from hot water, not water.

Once upon a time, I bought a used muzzleloading rifle and the guy gave me a pile of stuff to go with it. :)

One of the things that he included was a bottle of TC #13 bore cleaner.

Some time later while I was cleaning my C&B revolvers after a day's shoot I decided to try the TC #13 bore cleaner.

It was very good at removing the fouling from the pistols bore but upon wiping it out with a clean patch I saw that the cleaning patch was rust colored. :shocked2:

I continued to wipe the bore using water to wash out the rest of the TC#13 and continued this until the patches came out without any sign of rust.

Then I got to thinking, "Why did I get that rust?
I never have seen a bore rust like that when I used soapy water to clean them before now."
"I think I'll try this TC stuff again."

So, with a clean rust free bore I once again swabbed the bore with a clean patch soaked with the TC#13 bore cleaner.

As fast as I could, I grabbed a clean patch and ran it thru the bore.

RUST! :( :cursing: :td: :cursing:

After cleaning the bore once again and applying a coat of Barricade as I always do to protect my guns against rust and carrying the unused bottle of TC#13, I walked out into the alley behind my house.

I'm not really good at throwing things but I know that bottle of manure landed at least 80 yards away from my house and not a moment too soon. :cursing: :cursing:

Zonie said:
Once upon a time, I bought a used muzzleloading rifle and the guy gave me a pile of stuff to go with it. :)

I'm not really good at throwing things but I know that bottle of manure landed at least 80 yards away from my house and not a moment too soon. :cursing: :cursing:

Yep, you wasted the opportunity to blow up the bottle with a roundball - more satisfying than an 80 yard pass where it just skids to a stop and lies there ...

Why don't you let the manufacturer know of your results too. They may have some suggestions on use that you somehow missed.

When I am at the range, I swab between shots with patches lightly dampened with straight Balistol. At the end of my shooting session, I swab out my bore with a product called Rusty Duck before I head home. The only reason I use Rusty Duck is because a friend of mine gave me a large bottle of it and it seems to work pretty well. When I get home, I clean my bore with warm soapy water. I always get some more fouling out but do not have a rust problem. After scrubbing out my bore with warm soapy water and flushing with clear water and then drying with several dry patches, I spray WD-40 down my bore to remove any final traces of moisture. Then I thoroughly wipe out the WD-40 with several dry patches. After that, I wipe out my bore with a patch with Barricade on it. I have gone back several days later and run another Barricade patch through my bore to check for rust and have never found any. My technique may not be the only way to clean a bore but it works great for me and I never have any rust issues.

Well, I think I got things sorted out. I got back from the range today and cleaned with tepid water and dish soap instead of hot water. No tan/brown/rusty patches!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Back