• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Granulated buffer "wad" powder/shot separator revisit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm curious and intrigued with using a corn meal/farinia/wheatina type buffer in place of a hard wad in shotgun loads. Info here and elsewhere calls for an amount of buffer equal to the amount of powder. Here's the deal - I use pre-measured tubes when hunting. If I put equal amount of powder/buffer in the tube there is too much room for it to move around. Eventually it is mixed all together. However, If I put 7/8 ounce scoop (about 72 grains) of powder I can fill the rest of the tube by using 1 1/2 ounce scoop of corn meal ( about 100 grains). The cornmeal weighs less than a 1/2 in fiber wad and about the same as 3 -1/8th cards. So overall load weight is about the same. Is there something I'm missing? Why does the corn meal have to be the same volume as the powder? Why can't I have nearly twice as much and still be effective?

Right - so I'm trying to eliminate one step. Pour powder/filler, pour shot, cover.....vs. pour powder, load card, wad (or corn meal separately), pour shot, cover. If it doesn't eliminate one step, I'll just keep on keeping on with wads.

Right - so I'm trying to eliminate one step. Pour powder/filler, pour shot, cover.....vs. pour powder, load card, wad (or corn meal separately), pour shot, cover. If it doesn't eliminate one step, I'll just keep on keeping on with wads.
If you just used thin cards and no fibre wads it would be less. Certainly worth a try to see if you get better performance etc etc.. it is not the law you must use two or even more types of wad like a thick card then fibre then overshot card.

Back