• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double pan-cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever saw such a double pan-cover?
293703_detail9_max.jpg

293703_max.jpg

:hatsoff:

That's sure a pretty gun. I've never seen a double cover like that. Any idea what lifts it during firing? Looks like a finger groove for lifting it to prime.

Perhaps a form of safety so that the cocks can be carried all the way forward relieving the load on the mainsprings? Maybe they engage the frizzens automatically when they close and open with them when the gun is fired.

is it just a double gun, or is it a drilling with a barrel underneath, it maybe a sidelock with a selector?

If you look at the right hand pan, you'll see that it looks very different from the left one. It has a cover of some sort over it.

Dawg I'm with you I don't see it or don't know what to look for. Sure is a nice looking double barrel though.
Fox :thumbsup:

These double pan covers were one of several different kinds of saftys installed on double guns.The idea was to make the unfired barrel completely safe from accidental discharge while you were reloading the other barrel. They were well aware of the danger of having body parts over the muzzle of a loaded gun. But only the rich could afford this kind of extra feature on a double gun.

Opening the frizzen of the unfired barrel but leaving the pan cover down was how this worked. When loaded the frizzen was latched back to the pan cover.

Another, more common, option was sliding saftys that locked either the tumbler or the cock or both. These were also common on belt pistols for obvious reasons. :wink:

Sometime in the 19th century saftys that were gravity activated were invented. When the gun was stood on end to load an internal weight rotated the tumbler lock in place. I think these were after the flint period.

Gary

Well doggie! What will they think of next? little metal cups with explosive in em to fit over some contraption that has a tiny hole in it to deliver the fire to the charge? :rotf:
Seriously though, nice gun. :thumbsup: For sure could never afford one with that much safety built into it. But that would not keep me from drooling all the same.

It does look like a safety feature. The frizzen can be left forward and so can the cock. When you're ready to fire, you cock the piece and pull the frizzen back into battery. The frizzen latches to the separate pan cover and then it works like a regular flintlock.

Back