• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Correcting a 44 inch barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a rice barrel that is round and designed like a smooth rifle but has rifling in it. It shoots to the right about 3 inches at 100 yards, after I drifted the rear sight as much to the left as I am comfortable. I suspect the barrel has a slight set to the right. Looking for recommendations . Thanks.

Rear sight corrections move in the direction that you wish to move the bullets impact.

Front sight corrections move in the opposite of the direction that you wish to move the bullets impact.

Your barrel is shooting to the right so move the rear sight left and the front sight right. If this doesn't get your barrel on target you will likely need to bend the barrel. Do a search as there are plenty of thread on how to accomplish this.

Do as many others have done- find a stout tree with two trunks close together. Using a long straight-edge, find where the bend is and mark it with a grease pencil, or other visible marking.
Now, insert the barrel between the two trunks, make sure your barrel mark is aligned correctly, and apply a bit of pressure in the opposite direction from the bend, and give it a little nudge.
Being off 3" at 100 yards is really not much of a bend, so be gentle with your correction.
Re-align your sights to barrel central, and shoot a few times. If you are close, leave it be and move your sights as needed. If you are not close, go visit the forked tree again, use a bit more force. Repeat as needed.
On your sight adjustment, remember FORS: Front Opposite, Rear Same. Works every time.

Yup, bent a' many .... started out with oak V-blocks, ratchet compression clamp and a height vernier on a flat machined 6' thick metal table. But the last one I did I pulled from the pins and lodged it under the frame of the heavy shootin' bench, leaned into it and just gave it a good WANG ... hit the X offhand @ 50-yards on the next shoot, woo hoo!

Yup, bent a' many .... started out with oak V-blocks, ratchet compression clamp and a height vernier on a flat machined 6' thick metal table. But the last one I did I pulled from the pins and lodged it under the frame of the heavy shootin' bench, leaned into it and just gave it a good WANG ... hit the X offhand @ 50-yards on the next shoot, woo hoo!
bet that thing is a bear to move!🤣

Back