• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Done with Lyman Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would for sure have my lawyer send a nicely worded letter to Lyman... ONLY after I went through the proper channels and got an unsatisfactory result. I BET if you were able to get the "head of sales guy" involved your results may change.

I bet if you sent one of the higher ups a link to this post they would see that they are shooting themselves in the foot by treating you this way.

I am convinced not to buy anything from them now. Not worth the chance for my hard earned money.

I came up with some future responses from Lyman to you when you ask for a replacement barrel again.:bull:

"Just weld up the hole, it will be fine."

"Holes in our barrels are nothing to be worried about."

"Yeah we can't drill holes without going all the way into the barrel, and then to top it off we put a screw in the hole that extends into the barrel and obstructs you from loading it, but hey that is fine, just grind it off."

I thought that one of their responses to you was going to say that you should just grind off the last few inches of the barrel, but then I continued reading and it said to grind off the end of the screw. "SCREW THAT MAN GIVE ME A NEW BARREL!!!" Hehe that is what I would have responded with. :blah:

I hope you get it worked out.

Greebe

easy fix.

Get ahold of the importer, tell them that you're willing to accept that the hole in the barrel is safe, but you need a statement from their liability insurance company verifying that they'll still cover it if it blows up.

Supercracker said:
easy fix.

Get ahold of the importer, tell them that you're willing to accept that the hole in the barrel is safe, but you need a statement from their liability insurance company verifying that they'll still cover it if it blows up.

Better yet, send a letter to them, cc:'ing the President of the firm, thanking them and tell them you have consulted an engineer and attorney (I have a 21st C. attorney on retainer, LOL) and are formally asking them to stand behind their suggestion and name you personally as "additionaly insured" on their general liability policy which you require a copy of and which you will publish on the internet gun sites as evidence of them standing behind their product.

You'll get your barrel...

I hate to say it, because I hate when I have had to do it, but the best way to get things done in a situation like this is to be cool with them on the first contact or two. You've done that. Get a little ****** after that, then a little more if things aren't taken care of. Always be courteous, always reasonable, but increasingly assertive, too. Go over your contact's head if you can- and if you get someone higher up, start off being really nice to them, then get mad, then go over their head, repeat. "I'd like to speak with a supervisor," should never be far from your lips. And if all else fails, just make a regular pain in the ass out of yourself. Call, then call again. Then call a bunch more after that. Email daily. Twice, even. File a complaint with their local BBB. There will come a point, usually not too far along, where they'll give you what you want just so they don't have to deal with you anymore. The trick is not to be the crazy-sounding jerk. Reasonable, yet aggravating, is usually tough to ignore. Anything more than that gets tossed on the nutjob customer stack. Just wear them down.

If the barrel is fine, as they say, then they ought not object to replacing it since they'll be able to stick it right back into production.

Billnpatti said:
I have a Henry lever action .22 and it looks good, works good and shoots good and it is American owned and made in America. :thumbsup:

Used to sell a lot of these when I worked at Cabela's. Usually after they were compared to higher priced Winchesters, customers would chose the Henry every time. Too bad they don't make shotguns. :wink:

I would send the dang thing back at my own expense to the president of the company and make it very clear in the enclosed letter that they will have sufficient time to make it right or reimberse me for my expenses.

I would make it very clear that if it were not made right in such time that everyone that I come in contact with while shooting, hunting and talking about sporting rifles will hear my story about their wonderful customer service and quality of workmanship.

I know it's hard to lose funds and be treated like a dog but you will overcome it; they won't.

I purchased a Lyman Deerhunter .54 flint a while back; it sat in the closet unfired for a couple seasons. I shot it about 20 times a few weeks back. It was slow to ignite the barrel charge so when I got home I took out the vent to see about drilling it out a bit to see if that would help. The touch hole is drilled and tapped a bit too far back so that the the barrel powder doesn't fill the back of the vent very well. Not sure just what I am going to do with it yet. Probably won't ever buy anything Lyman again though. I will eat it without complaint but no more after this.

colorado clyde said:
just remove the screw and replace with a tiny pipe elbow pointed at you so it blows smoke in your face also. :haha: ...seriosly thats BS

And maybe the elbow could be piped back to the hammer to recock... somebody else probably already done figured it out.

I read thru all of these posts. Man It's a shame. I own a lot of Lyman products and my GPR is a very fine rifle. I hope you manage to reach someone with a little common sense! If not their company is doomed!

Geo. T.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have been having with Lyman. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Lyman GPR kit for a winter build project and to serve as my first muzzleloader. I'm very firmly in the "buy once, last a lifetime" category in everything I do, so I'll probably be holding off now until I see if this was a one off problem or if they are going to make a habit of quality falling off. It's really a shame since everything I've seen over the past month or so of research seemed to be overwhelmingly positive... then again, some of those posts were pretty old.

Next time you talk to someone tell them my $450 is depending on how they resolve this.

dermax said:
I am sorry to hear about the problems you have been having with Lyman. I was just about to pull the trigger on a Lyman GPR kit for a winter build project and to serve as my first muzzleloader. I'm very firmly in the "buy once, last a lifetime" category in everything I do, so I'll probably be holding off now until I see if this was a one off problem or if they are going to make a habit of quality falling off. It's really a shame since everything I've seen over the past month or so of research seemed to be overwhelmingly positive... then again, some of those posts were pretty old.

Next time you talk to someone tell them my $450 is depending on how they resolve this.

Just in case you do decide to buy a kit the best place to get a kit is Hinterland's just gogole them I pay 396 dollars delivered to the door it will save ya cash and they are fast shippers to get them in 3 days.

Back