• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Done with Lyman Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As radio/inter-net consumer advocate Clark Howard says, when this happens go around "Customer No-Service".

Suggest you contact Lyman Sales Executive, Rick Ranzinger, listed on manta in a quick search:
http://www.manta.com/c/mmjvn9d/lyman-products-corp

If that does not work, try Lyman's president.

Lyman's Customer No-Service wants you to give up and go away. A GPR with that problem is unacceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marlin is turning out crappy lever guns ever since Remington took em over. The death of quality firearms has begun.

....and my buddies just can't understand why I bird hunt & shoot sporting clays with a hundred year old A.H. Fox shotgun. :idunno: Too Tall, best of luck with the outcome of your Lyman. I'm in agreement with everyone else, I wouldn't stop with customer service.

I have a Henry lever action .22 and it looks good, works good and shoots good and it is American owned and made in America. :thumbsup:

What you have is a piece of junk suited only for use as a tomato stake. Do not accept the manure they are telling you. Quit fooling with the various underlings and go straight to the president of Lyman. That man has the horsepower to get it done and I seriously doubt if he wants the Lyman name on something like you have. He will make it right and quickly, too. If he can't or won't make it right, you are screwed but you can post it on the Forum for all here to see and you can send him a link to see your posting. He will then know that his product has been given a poor rating in a place where it can hurt.

Ghettogun said:
Yeah, and who do you think owns Remington?
When the President of Remington started a campaign to tell everyone "it's not the action, it's the pointability" a few years ago because he couldn't defend the failure-prone 870 shotguns anymore it was clear the latest corporate parent had squandered a good, proud, old, name.

I was never a Lyman GPR fan. Never have owned one and wouldn't unless someone basically gives it to me. Yet although I never thought much of them now I am thinking little of them. Another American heritage thrown away that is being further outsourced.

What a depressing thread.

Robert an saa fan said:
As radio/inter-net consumer advocate Clark Howard says, when this happens go around "Customer No-Service".

Suggest you contact Lyman Sales Executive, Rick Ranzinger, listed on manta in a quick search:
http://www.manta.com/c/mmjvn9d/lyman-products-corp

If that does not work, try Lyman's president.
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=4554327

James F. Thompson

President, Lyman Products Corporation

I see he's 69 years old. He MUST remember the days when quality meant something! Hopefully he's also smart enough to know that his cost of a new barrel cannot be as much as what is lost when a post like this influences all kinds of people not to buy their products.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried that with an issue I had and they responded that they were unable to log into the website! Seriously how hard would it have been to create a user name - they should be on it already.

If I was going to go down the path of a GPR now, I would look for an old one and refurbish it with new lock and triggers. Not that I don't love the one I have.

I nicely worded letter from your lawyer regarding safety issues and liability would probably get thier attention...............

just remove the screw and replace with a tiny pipe elbow pointed at you so it blows smoke in your face also. :haha: ...seriosly thats BS
send a lawyer letter like someone sugested and better order spare parts if you own one becuase it won't be long and they will be out of business.

This whole thing kinda stinks.
Something ain't right.

First off, with a hole drilled into the barrel, this isn't email business, let alone a two or three email kind of deal.

This is, Receipt in hand, and copy's of the email(s), phone call stuff,,
then;
"Please connect me to someone in the USA"
then;
"Please let me speak to your Supervisor"
then;
"Could I speak to the Person in charge of Sales or have a contact number for them Please"

It would be good to have already made contact with the Better Business Bureau of that state, and have the name of someone in that office that you spoke too.

All this should be done Firmly, but very Politely, and with enough minutes on the phone card for at least an hour. Don't get ****** or cuss, especially when your talking to the underlings, the goal is taking it to the top for a command decision.

Try to keep it as there is one person involved, not a friend bought this kit and I'm building it,,

And if time off from work is needed to do this during business hours, well that's what needs to be done.
Points to stress;
*This is a rifled barrel.
*The Hole is into the land/groove.
*Where is this barrel made as it's a factory fault.
(Investarms in Italy, shipped this to Lyman)
*I have X amount of hours involved in the build
(make it a lot)
*I've had to take time off work to speak with Customer service.

Is this Left handed Flintlock Kit so many years old that they don't offer it any longer?
Think of, What is the reason they don't want to replace the barrel?

What a depressing thread.

Maybe there's hope. :hmm: :hmm:

Factory made offerings are less and less every year and the quality declines as the prices rise. For instance The Great Plains Rifle imported by Lyman is now more aptly described as the Mediocre Plains Rifle when compared to out of the box rifles made just a few years ago.

TC and CVA are dead unless you buy used.

Many decry the end or decline of the muzzleloading hobby but all traditional hobbies and past times in recent years are in decline from pulling wrenches on old cars to model trains to camping, hunting, shooting and fishing. In the mainstream world, if it does not have a screen and two thumbs to operate it's in decline.

The days of traditional and BP guns and accessories lining the isle at Woolco or K Mart or even the local gun shop are gone forever. That market has switched to the unmentionables. It ain't coming back folks.

The traditional market has become more educated in what they demand for a gun. They demand quality. Many want a rifle as close to the eighteenth century as they can get. Anything under the sun from 18th Century Indian trade guns to Hawken rifles are available to be commissioned and they are not as expensive as one would think when one considers what they are getting.

Some may think someone is nuts for paying $2500 or more for a muzzleloader but yet they think nothing about a $1000 bolt action with a $1700 scope that looses 2/3 value as they walk out the door.

A good custom or semi custom and even good quality factory muzzleloaders hold their value. Especially if you know where to sell and buy. The local gun/pawn shop does not know the difference between a Eric Kettenburg Lehigh and a Traditions Kentucky.

Most builders even big name guys will accept a down payment and then the balance when the gun is complete. Many are backlogged and take a couple of years to complete. This spreads the cost over time so a very good heirloom quality gun is not as inaccessible as it would seem.

In closing the traditional market has switched from factory made to hand made, from massed produced of continuing poorer quality to true craftsmanship. Right now the custom/semi market is healthy. Many builders are booked up. Let's hope this continues. The only way though, is for people to continue to buy and demand fine quality guns and rifles.

Lets hope that this is a good sign for the future of American Industry and the American consumer. Let's hope that folks are willing to spend a little more for something of quality and craftsmanship instead of little less for junk. Maybe this will break the Wal-Mart mentality.

I think like they said putting a smaller screw in the place of the longer one would be fine and would not me a safety issue. But it still is not right. It's like buying a new car, finding a defect and they tell you to put a piece of tape over it and it will be fine. You're not going to get the screw perfectly flush so corrosion can build up in the hole after years of use and it may even snag patches degrading accuracy a small amount. I can't believe a (supposed)reputable company would even suggest such a thing when all they have to do is send you a new barrel.

First off, with a hole drilled into the barrel, this isn't email business, let alone a two or three email kind of deal.

then;
then;
then;
"Could I speak to the Person in charge of Sales or have a contact number for them Please"

It would be good to have already made contact with the Better Business Bureau of that state, and have the name of someone in that office that you spoke too.

All this should be done Firmly, but very Politely, and with enough minutes on the phone card for at least an hour. Don't get ****** or cuss, especially when your talking to the underlings, the goal is taking it to the top for a command decision.

Try to keep it as there is one person involved, not a friend bought this kit and I'm building it,,

And if time off from work is needed to do this during business hours, well that's what needs to be done.
Points to stress;
(make it a lot)

Is this Left handed Flintlock Kit so many years old that they don't offer it any longer?

Molon Labe~

DITTO !!!!!!!!!

Mooman76 said:
I can't believe a (supposed)reputable company would even suggest such a thing when all they have to do is send you a new barrel.

Yes, then they can patch up the hole, camouflage it real good, then break it off in someone else who may not ever know it. :grin:
My son has a LH GPR perc. It only took 2 tries for him to get an acceptable rifle that functions as it should, guess he got lucky.
The guy @ Lyman was more than willing to send a replacement rifle @ no cost & didnt seem the least bit surprised when told about the problems the gun had. That was back in '09

necchi said:
This whole thing kinda stinks.
Something ain't right.

then;
then;
then;

Points to stress;
(make it a lot)

Truth be told I guess when I said I assembled the rifle I was talking about in the white right outta the box. I literally only had 5 minutes of work to get the gun assembled. Then I discovered the issue with the barrel. I will continue to push forward with getting a replacement barrel.

Lie too them! :grin:
After all they're trying to screw someone for a damaged barrel, turn around is fair play.
You have at least 35 hours involved in the build so far!!

Yeah! Prove you know NOTHING about arms like taking 35 hours to assemble an almost finished gun, including not looking down the barrel for a full week of work, would require!!!

$250 for a Lawyer's Letter if you're lucky? Really!?

Simply? Don't accept "no" from someone who can't say "yes." Determine if they have authority to approve a replacement barrel and if not escalate the issue -- do not waste too much time.

Alden said:
Yeah! Prove you know NOTHING about arms like taking 35 hours to assemble an almost finished gun,
Dude, 35hrs for one of these pre-fab kit's is nothing if, you want to make things look right.

But I guess your right, there are plenty of kit guns done in way under that time.

My point is if they are going to play dumb and say there is nothing wrong with a hole drilled into the bore of a rifle ya might as well play their game.
Pay a Lawyer for this ?
You haven't worked much with a 21st century Lawyer have ya ?

Latest posts

Back