• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you know this gun?...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Rocco

Pilgrim
Reaction score
20230503_192534.jpg
20230503_192623.jpg
20230503_192753.jpg
Help! Just picked up this Flintlock at an East Tenn auction. No markings on it whatsoever. Need assistance dating it...or should I just say it belonged to Sam Houston or Daniel Boone. Thx!

Well looks to me to have been a gun owned by Daniel Boone. He have it to David Crockett, who took it to the Alamo.
It was picked up by a Mexican soldier who deserted Santa Anna and moved to New Mexico. There he fell in with Kit Carson and gave the gun to Him. Kit traded it in Santa Fe to a mule skinner named Harris. Harris was shot by Comanches and his gun was transported with his other effects back to his family in Kentucky. They lost it on a game of cards to Turner Kirkland. Who sold it at Friendship in 1973
At least that’s the story I would tell if it was mine

Well looks to me to have been a gun owned by Daniel Boone. He have it to David Crockett, who took it to the Alamo.
It was picked up by a Mexican soldier who deserted Santa Anna and moved to New Mexico. There he fell in with Kit Carson and gave the gun to Him. Kit traded it in Santa Fe to a mule skinner named Harris. Harris was shot by Comanches and his gun was transported with his other effects back to his family in Kentucky. They lost it on a game of cards to Turner Kirkland. Who sold it at Friendship in 1973
At least that’s the story I would tell if it was mine
I thought that was the same gun.

View attachment 219535View attachment 219536View attachment 219537Help! Just picked up this Flintlock at an East Tenn auction. No markings on it whatsoever. Need assistance dating it...or should I just say it belonged to Sam Houston or Daniel Boone. Thx!
The patchbox looks like the one on my Kentuckian. Mine has a one piece stock, 28 inch barrel (I call it my canoe gun because it is so much shorter than it's brothers), and was made in Italy. Has the pasta sauce stains to prove it.

View attachment 219535View attachment 219536View attachment 219537Help! Just picked up this Flintlock at an East Tenn auction. No markings on it whatsoever. Need assistance dating it...or should I just say it belonged to Sam Houston or Daniel Boone. Thx!
Looks like an old Spanish Repro about .45 cal. It you plan to shoot it, have it checked by a competent muzzleloader guy. Have it cleaned and tested. Only use about 50gr FFFG, .440 round ball with a .010 or .015 oiled patch. NO black powder substitutes. Use the same powder in the pan as in the bore. A 1/2" to 5/8" flint should do it. Don't forget the flint pad. Download instructions on how to properly load you gun if you don't already know. Be Safe. Semper Fi.

I don't know how many manufacturers or Importers used the name "Kentuckian" but mine was marked Armi-Sport, Made in Italy, 45 caliber, Black Powder only. It had a different patch box but was made in the 1980s. Yours is probably an earlier model. It most likely has a 1-48" barrel twist.

Have fun!

Walt

Back