• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you display your flintlock or other guns in your home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only when i buy a new one, i put in the corner of the kitchen until my wife begs me to get it out her kitchen, so now i don’t have to worry about hiding a new rifle or musket.

To each the own dude. I prefer to err on the side of safety.
Would expect a comment like this from a liberal. Safety is paramount in all issues related to a weapon, with proper training and common sense it is wise to have at least one loaded weapon in a strategic place. Guess you could always ask the intruder; attacker wait while I load my gun. Or have my gender confused whatever to please you.

Would expect a comment like this from a liberal. Safety is paramount in all issues related to a weapon, with proper training and common sense it is wise to have at least one loaded weapon in a strategic place. Guess you could always ask the intruder; attacker wait while I load my gun. Or have my gender confused whatever to please you.

Hang on. Do you honestly think it’s some sort of insult that I’d rather lock up my guns than have a little kid get ahold of it? Because that’s not really much of an insult.
I’ll choose “safely locked up” over “avoidable tragedy” any day.

And seriously, is literally EVERYTHING a gender issue with you?

While I agree with the avoidable tragedy aspect, it's just the boss and I we do have visitors from time to time and yes there are small children included, with that in mind the house gun is securely attached to my hip in a concealed holster. I go nowhere without a weapon. And yes, I am legally certified to carry it. It's your responsibility to ensure no one accesses the weapon except YOU. A SAFELY LOCKED UP DEFENSIVE WEAPON IS A DEATH WARRENT WAITING TO BE SERVED

As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?
Not even close ,walk in to my house and you'd think I was a tree hugging liberal confiscating red flag endorsing Harvard grad , and you'd find yourself up to your eye balls in commy liberal hating in a like minded neighborhood where admittance is extremely limited to 64 for above reason . The 2 shooting ranges /short 200/long 700 yds and 2 private (PONDS) and 1700 acres hunting trapping and fishing are the bonus . I was admitted cause of my beliefs and not my shooting expertise (why I shoot so much) year round !!! Most of my guns are never seen by outsiders and the few I do post here and Modern Muzzle loader are viewed by friends /Ed

I do but in my spare room where I build them also

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230319_171247_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230319_171247_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I do insure them £1500 each but I also have a very hidden safe , you are not allowed to shoot any intruders in Uk with a gun.

Meet my £127 auction win. 8 bore percussion. All the metal work , action ok, the barrel no pits, but it needs a new stock , it’s spit to hell. Nice slab eBay walnut £53

But love an intruder to come in and meet my compound bow , oh I’ll dump the body miles away. Ha ha. Got a big freezer too. Yum yum human flesh

Just joking ha ha

Attachments

• 96B0A509-4466-4CE7-B01A-90C569D7F9EC.jpeg
    96B0A509-4466-4CE7-B01A-90C569D7F9EC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FE83AEDC-B7A7-433C-B2D8-EE4C3562773D.jpeg
    FE83AEDC-B7A7-433C-B2D8-EE4C3562773D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 3827ED39-6F51-498D-8CB5-80489797B5F6.jpeg
    3827ED39-6F51-498D-8CB5-80489797B5F6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2291D9E5-6127-471F-B08B-A0D5E437313D.jpeg
    2291D9E5-6127-471F-B08B-A0D5E437313D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 394EF0C6-2D6E-4320-96CC-89CDFADBF565.jpeg
    394EF0C6-2D6E-4320-96CC-89CDFADBF565.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • F5940CC2-3D38-426D-9046-5DEB251075B0.jpeg
    F5940CC2-3D38-426D-9046-5DEB251075B0.jpeg
    945.7 KB · Views: 0
  • D4FF5215-2D70-453A-87C8-D6FE64DE07C8.jpeg
    D4FF5215-2D70-453A-87C8-D6FE64DE07C8.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 3E932CFD-F2AC-458B-B908-B1E96D40DA3F.jpeg
    3E932CFD-F2AC-458B-B908-B1E96D40DA3F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D88EFE6-FC79-4B6D-A232-B3D132D90454.jpeg
    3D88EFE6-FC79-4B6D-A232-B3D132D90454.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 245CBE8A-8903-4533-9E6E-7C7757A5C8F0.jpeg
    245CBE8A-8903-4533-9E6E-7C7757A5C8F0.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 0
I keep 2 or 3 in my man cave so I can enjoy touching , handling them, but they are flintlock muzzle loaders. I also have percussion revolvers on display in the same room.
I keep self defense centerfire pieces handy buy not visible .

I display a few of mine in my office at home. Not loaded, nothing to load it with anywhere nearby.
Most thief’s would not want anything as long as a muzzleloader. From what I understand they are looking to grab and go. It would be a real pain in the ass to try and shove some of my longer guns in the trunk or backseat. Plus who would buy them, most local gun shops would remember anyone who tried to fence a traditional muzzleloader, particularly a flintlock.

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?

Attachments

• 20230428_050807.jpg
    20230428_050807.jpg
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
Yes you can and should lock all firearms away from most children. But for your kids and grands firearm literacy is the key to them being responsible with guns.
Early training while their minds are most like sponges. Every gun is loaded until you absolutely know otherwise. NEVER point it at anyone you do not need to shoot. How to load. How to unload. How to clean and maintain. Some of these trained kids will not have further interest in guns. But they will know that it is an inanimate object which can be misused. Not a demon which will kill by itself or possess some one to kill with it.
An effective aid to teaching them never to point a gun at anyone is to shoot something, a squirrel for example, and show them the damage that a bullet will do. Accidental or not.

Mine are displayed, and I have a security system and a dog who is unfriendly to strangers.

Modern stuff is locked up as that is more likely to end up on the street, used in a crime. And it's the law of the land in NYS if you have kids or mentally ill in the house.
I'd be in the clear, no kids or Democrats in the house.

the ones which are displayed are, of course, unloaded. if you break into my place (a dumb idea, to say the least) you will have to cope with the dog, and then the owner after the biometric safe is opened.

the nearest police officer is about six to eight hours away. i might or might not let you use my restroom.

what do democrats have to do with it? all my modern stuff is secured. My Hawken is on the wall.
IMG_6378.jpg
Unlikely to be stolen and very unlikely to be used in a crime. Its your responsibility to secure your weapons regardless of political affiliation or gender. Its just a tool. End of the day I lower the blade in the table saw or push the fence up tight to the blade if it is one of the broken table saws that don't lower. chop saw the blade gets locked in the down position and all the power cords and extension cords get unplugged. ladders are taken down and stowed where they won't get rained on splattered with dirt. All part of being a responsible adult.

I have two, both ugly wall hangers Dad bought years ago at a barn auction that a smith told him weren't reliable, more rust than metal. He bought them on a whim, they didn't cost very much. Everything else besides what I'm toting for the day is in a safe.

Back