• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you display your flintlock or other guns in your home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to display my ML’s. I have many if not all of the same concerns as all have mentioned previously. So, they stay wrapped up in their cases until I put on my uniform or head out to the range.
If my boys end up not wanting my ML’s when I’m gone, then I believe I’ll leave them to my local Sons of the American Revolution chapter. Most of them have Color Guard units which always need equipment.

Yes, I display five family heirlooms. They rest on special hangers emblazened with the caliber, i.e. ball or cartridge headstamp. They rest there to honor my families past. The future lies in the gun safe where my sons will choose one of mine to display.

No. There are safely locked away. One could engrave name or social security number or other identification on inside cover of patch box, inside of butt plate or toeplate, interior of barrels for positive I.d. An electronic tracer could be stowed down the barrel of antiques. Bill in our state house proposed to ban manufacture of firearms without serial numbers. Would I have to stamp on all parts on my muzzle loaders if it passes? Or are muzzle loaders not legally considered firearms in your state?

LOL, well in Canada flintlock pistols are Restricted Weapons and have to have a trigger lock (and rifles) etc.....
So only decommissioned firearms can be displayed.
But Flintlock long guns are considered antiques, not firearms, under The Canadian Firearms Act. You can display them like any other antique. No different than displaying Grandmas antique lamp or spoon collection.
That said mine are encased out of sight. Saves wall room to show off my canoe paddles.

Last edited:
I spend good bit of my retirement time living in a restored log cabin. I'd love to have some of my flinters on the walls, but neighbors and repairmen will talk. I keep my muzzleloaders in a gun safe at my main location and (unmentionables) hidden but easily accessible in the main rooms. Sad what the world has become in the last 70 years.

Depends how old they are and that they are "Original" not
Depends how old they are and that they are "Original" not remakes.
Not quite sir;

From the Canadian Firearms Act;

The following guns are considered antiques if they were designed before 1898, regardless of manufacture date, making modern replicas free to possess:

So a flintlock long gun is an antique regardless of when it was made. My flintlock 20gauge is an antique under the law even though it was built in 2008. That’s why I had no issue with it being shipped from the States same as any other antique.

Even your sub-12 guns have to be locked up, don't they?

Quite from a well-known airgun forum here in UK -

WHERE CAN I LEGALLY STORE A SUB-12 ft lb AIR RIFLE?

When I was growing up, air rifles were left behind sofas, hidden under beds or at best thrown in the back of cupboards. This was legal in the ‘70s and ‘80s, but since the introduction of the ‘Crime and Security Act 2010’ it is very much illegal. The Crime and Securities act states that it is an offence for a person in charge of an air rifle to fail to take ‘reasonable precautions’ to prevent someone under the age of 18 from gaining access it.

So, what are reasonable precautions? Personally, I have a gun cabinet. I bought it a few years back from eBay for £80, and it secures all of my rifles and ammunition in one place, On top of this, it keeps my wife happy because all of my shooting equipment is kept together and is not strewn about all over the house. The thing is, though, not everyone has the space for a cabinet, and if that is the case, then what are your other options?

Well, a hard case is a great idea because it will thermally regulate your rifle and keep it safe from bumps and scrapes, and if you put a lockable padlock and chain on it, it is considered to be secured. I have a Flambeau hard case with a vintage rifle under my bed. It has a chain and this is attached to the bed frame. In reality, it would not stop a serious criminal from getting to my rifle, but it will stop my 6-year-old son, and if I did end up in court, I could argue that I took reasonable precautions. Incidentally, my son is now 6 feet tall, 14 stone and could lift the bed with one hand!

If you only have a gun slip, though, then a simple bicycle chain through the trigger guard and attached to an immovable object is better then nothing, or if you have a spare cupboard, then put a bolt with a lock on it. The words ‘reasonable precautions’ are ambiguous and are hard to argue, so just make sure that someone can’t just grab your rifle and run off with it.

Last edited:
As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?
Just my Early Lancaster Longrifle. It sits above an antique sideboard in our livingroom:

1000×239
75 kB
1000×239
75 kB

Early Lancaster.JPG

Not quite sir;

From the Canadian Firearms Act;

The following guns are considered antiques if they were designed before 1898, regardless of manufacture date, making modern replicas free to possess:

So a flintlock long gun is an antique regardless of when it was made. My flintlock 20gauge is an antique under the law even though it was built in 2008. That’s why I had no issue with it being shipped from the States same as any other antique.
Hmmm...
Does not include pistols after 1898. ( I only have Pistols).

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-98-464/FullText.html
Thanks!

From where we sit in our computer/TV room we can see thirty ML guns of various breeds. Over our fireplace in the living room are two rifles, and on the hearth are two revolvers. In cases around the house are several more. I have lived 91 years, nearly always with guns, and have never owned, or wanted, a gun safe. We have lived all over the United States, in big cities, small towns and countryside, and have never been burglarized or had anything stolen. I do not intend to become wary now. If my guns are stolen, I will hope that someone who really wants MLs will ultimately benefit. My wife just hopes they take mine and not hers. :rolleyes: I'm pretty sure she will outlive me. She and her kids and grandkids and mine can enjoy them if the guns survive me. BTW, we only lock our doors at night, not when we are gone during the day. Foolish, well, I am simply giving folks the benefit of the doubt and love nearly everyone I know including neighbors who watch our place when we are gone. Dale
Polecat 🦨

I have had 2 cars stolen, my truck broken into twice, my house burglarized once (they were in the house when I came home and ran out the back door) and a brand new 20 Merc stolen off my boat. All of these crimes took place in low crime areas, stuff happens, that I why my treasured B/P guns are in a safe.

Mine sat in the back of a closet, which is one of first places burglars look. So I hung them on the wall where I can see them. :) If they are stolen :mad: I doubt they will be used to commit crimes. :) Been a long time since a flintlock was used to rob a connivence store.

Attachments

• RED_2172.JPG
    RED_2172.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
  • RED_2173.JPG
    RED_2173.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 0
Mine are displayed, and I have a security system and a dog who is unfriendly to strangers.

Modern stuff is locked up as that is more likely to end up on the street, used in a crime. And it's the law of the land in NYS if you have kids or mentally ill in the house.

My wife's cousin had his 20 guns stolen cause they could be seen thru his front window.
You can see some guns from some windows. But if you can look into my windows you are already a half mile into trespassing. I'd think nothing of holding you at gun point waiting for the troopers to pick you up.

Back