• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you display your flintlock or other guns in your home

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?
DSCN0681.JPG

We have had plumbers, kitchen remodelers, new windows installed, physical therapists etc. etc. in the last year or so in the house, everyone of those people may be honest as the day is long but I do not know who they talk to at the pub or around the holiday table.

The less people who know about my stuff the better.
The best security for valuables are those no one knows about!
I live in UK and here it's illegal to openly display live-firing firearms of any kind.
I’m sorry.

I do and I have since my kids (now grown) were little. Only flintlocks from various periods.
I once had a concerned teacher call me to say that my son had told her I had a rifle hanging on the wall near my bed and she was concerned. I told her that if I ever thought that he could locate the blackpower and find the roundballs (locked away), then load that all down the barrel which was taller than him and shove with a ramrod taller then him, I would lock the guns away. I then said it was a flintlock rifle - she said "what?"

I keep my SxS hung on the side of a bookshelf in the living room. It's a cool conversation starter, and is easy to grab in an emergency (likely coyotes after the chickens). I don't ever let people that I don't trust into my home, and I have two very protective dogs so I'm not worried much about theft.

I live alone at the end of a dead-end road in the county, I have an arsenal of modern stuff close at hand in case of a home invasion. All of my black powder stuff is in a safe, a very substantial safe. I can go to the store and buy any of my modern unmentionables in the time it takes me to fill out the forms, I can't replace my treasured B/P long guns at any price. I made 7 of them, three were gifts from the hearts of some amazing friends so I am not taking any chances of any of them walking off.

So many memories, the builds that took me way too long, all the deer that these rifles and fowlers have sent to the freezer or just looking at my later builds and thinking "dang, I can't believe a wood hack like myself made such a fine rifle".

This is a touchy subject. I used to, 50+ years ago, but with the way times have changed no longer. Oh for the days of Lucy and Desi when we could do things like this. Today with many laws it is impractical to leave any kind of firearm out where it cab be picked up. Most of mt ML are one of a kind and I would hate to have them stolen, they would be hard to replace, I have insurance but that only covers a fraction of the value. Guess I will just have to be happy looking at my safe

I remember back in the early 70's getting a nice two gun wooden wall rack for Christmas. Hung it in my bedroom and proudly displayed a shotgun and rifle. But no more, nothing in plain view now.

As of recently, I do. As I sit in my living room right now, I can see four. I'm 75 and started wondering why I don't enjoy them every day I have left. Should have done it years ago. I know chance of theft is enhanced many times over by leaving them out of the safe. In my case, I have no one interested in guns to leave them to. I do take precautions though. Secure them if I leave overnight and close the curtains after dark, plus I placed them high and out of reach. A bit risky still. When my eyes rest on any particular one, it "talks" to me, reminding me of previous adventures in the wildwood or at the range. How about you?
My wife's cousin had his 20 guns stolen cause they could be seen thru his front window.

They all live in a big steel tool box that is bolted to the floor and wall.

Big city gangsters been in the rural areas beatin up old folk and stealing everything.

So we keep only a modern wheelie out.

A tip for travelers. If like me you have some guns too long to fit in your safe, take them to the local pawn shop. You can pawn them, and they are kept in a secured area. Let the pawn owner know why you are pawning them. It is cheap rent for their secure area to pay the fee.

I recently bought some ornamental hangers that I will hang my only flintlock on the wall in the living room over the mantel. It is too long to fit in the safe so I can't really secure it anyway. I think it is a great conversation piece anyhow.

Attachments

• 746F1947-CE09-479C-B669-F444C29E8ECE.jpeg
    746F1947-CE09-479C-B669-F444C29E8ECE.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
LOL, well in Canada flintlock pistols are Restricted Weapons and have to have a trigger lock (and rifles) etc.....
So only decommissioned firearms can be displayed.
It’s Hollywood’s fault. You know where those guys get off 20 shots in 3 minutes? Those front loaders can be deceiving.

Back